Sitka gun sling vs Kifaru gun bearer

Anyone used the gun bearer that isn’t brand specific with mystery ranch packs? I just got a new metcalf as a surprise early Christmas gift from my family.
I've used it with my Cabinet for 3 seasons now. Love it. Using it enabled me to start using trekking poles effectively. This has given my old, broken butt the ability to go farther quicker and has made me MUCH more stable in dicey walking conditions. The first year I had it I was coming back to camp in the dark, stepped on a patch of ice among some good sized rocks and the trekking poles stopped me from (i am sure) breaking my leg or hip. The design also puts the gun in your hands in a shooting position very quickly.

I also have the Kifaru gun bearer and it's awesome!

Here are some tips after using it for 3 years.

1. Use some sort of protectant or even duct tape between the GB strap and your waist belt. After a long season of hunting, the GB rubbed almost through the MR pintler waist belt. I think this was made worse because the Pintler has a plastic insert in the waist belt and it really rubbed on the edge of it. I ended up putting shoe-glue on the waist belt to give it some protection.

2. Play with the high of the strap to fit your pack and type of rifle/scope. I found that if it was too high, the scope would jam into my arm pit. If too low, it would hit my leg.

3. If you're rifle has a stainless barrel or shiny blue barrel, the head lamp will reflect off of the barrel when hiking in the dark. I ended up taping my barrel with some camo cover tape. Just something to look out for so you're not blinded the first time you turn your headlamp on.

4. The GB upper strap disconnect I was able to weave it into my MR Pintler chest strap clip. Worked great and it has stayed sturdy.

Reviving this thread. I have a mystery ranch metcalf and wandering if I’d need the long universal waist band wrap or the short universal waist band wrap for this pack. Thanks.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back