Sitka gear

nidahunter

I have been considering pulling the trigger on a Sitka jacket but know nothing about them. I know they are now a sponsor on this site, but I also know Randy used to wear them before thay became a sponsor (which means to me that it is good stuff.) My question is, for the average hunter is it really worth the money? And if so, what are your reccomendations for October/November hunting, mostly still hunting and some stand hunting in 20-60 degree temps? Thanks for any advice, it is hard to get much info on them in the cabelas catalog...

Whether it's worth the money is entirely up to you. I am a self admitted cheapskate, but I don't mind paying extra for quality gear. I am a Sitka Gear whore and am not ashamed to admit it.

I have the Jetstream jacket. I went back and forth a lot and was contemplating a hard shell instead to save weight on backpack hunts. I've used the Jetstream into late November, and when layered appropriately it does a very good job.

I wear mine a lot of XC and dowhill skiing also, I got a the Moss color and it's really a nice looking coat.

The soft shell is not waterproof, but it is quiet for using in the woods and dries rather quickly where it gets wet on the surface.

Just my opinion, but I think they make good stuff. That being said, I also think you can buy comparable gear at much less than what Sitka charges. Check out the reviews on Cabela's. The reviews are hit and miss. What jacket are you looking at?

I was considering the 90%, but not sure if there are better alternatives. I just dont know enough about them or know anyone that uses them to make an informed decision.

I've used the 90% jacket for years, suits my style of hunting well, still hunting almost exclusively. I wear varying layers under it depending on conditions. I have worn it to 10 below comfortably. It is not water nor windproof. I would not want to be sitting still for a few hours at 20 degrees if there was much wind. I love mine, but I don't sit still much. If I did, I'd look at a different jacket, that's windproof.

I was considering the 90%, but not sure if there are better alternatives. I just dont know enough about them or know anyone that uses them to make an informed decision.

For October/November in North Idaho, don't go with the 90%. Go with the Jetstream Jacket and either the Mountain Pants or the Timberline Pants.

The Jetstream Jacket has a Gore Windstopper liner in it. Windstopper is great in wind and is a very efficient membrane for moisture transfer. It is a great outer layer with a good DWR, so will keep you dry in snow or showers. Obviously, the only thing that will keep you completely dry in a downpour is a true hardshell.

I use the Mountain Pants in warmer/drier weather and the Timberline Pants in colder/wetter weather. Pick one and you will probably be just fine. In even the coldest weather, I put on a base layer of Merino bottoms and I have yet to get cold.

They both have built in knee pads that I love. I wear my Mountain Pants even when it is really warm, just for the benefit of the knee pads. Gone are the days or sharp rocks and cactus spines interrupting my stalk.

The Timberline Pants have an articulated seat with a waterproof membrane. So when you sit and glass, no more itchy "wet butt" problems. Both are bomb proof. I have walked miles and miles over deadfalls with the snags grabbing the pants and trying to tear them. Not a tear to be found.

I have been using the setup above as my outer layer since 2010. I suspect I have hunted 300+ days in that, in some really terrible conditions. They are still like new and I will be wearing that set up again this season; same set I was provided originally.

Sitka asks me what I need before each season. I am still on the same pants and jacket that they gave me four years ago. I am told that because they have now change some shades of the Open Country Optifade, I will be getting new products with the new color tones. Not sure what they want me to do with the old ones. They give me a set for the guest hunters to use and I have yet to hear anything but rave comments from the guest hunters who wear them.

The Gore membranes are completely inert, so they will not be damaged by other compounds. Even though we try not to get bug dope, gas, diesel, or other destructive items on our clothes, it happens. It will not impact the Gore membranes.

Also, the Gore membranes are meant to be washed and dried as much as you want. It only helps them. Many other membranes have some pretty serious "care instructions."

Sitka clothing is an investment, so make sure you know what your application will be and pick the right garment for what is the majority of your hunting. It will last you many, many years. And, if you pick the right stuff for the right application, I can assure you it will keep you very comfortable.

Some guys like the green colors in the Optifade Forest pattern. Before your invest in that, make sure it is the garment that works for your application. Most of the Optifade Forest garments are not designed for active hunting in the mountains, rather for whitetail tree stand stuff. As a result, the membranes and fabrics used are more for heat retention than moisture wicking. I see many guys wearing the whitetail stuff in the mountains and I wonder how it performs in a different hunting application than it was designed for.

Send a PM if you think I can help answer any questions. And yes, I bought every brand out there and tried it in the show. Me and all the guest hunters decided on Sitka. I was buying it at retail prices for three years before they started giving me product to wear. I have no regrets about the decision, even though it would be far more profitable to wear products from other companies whose products I tried and was left very unimpressed for the kind of hunting we do.

I am so happy I went with the sitka gear. I purchased the jetstream jacket, mountain pants, 1/4 zip shirt, and am extremely happy with everything I have, my under layers are under armour but I am a big fan of them as far as layering. I would highly recommend both to anyone.

Thank you for the comments. Sounds like I need to look into the Jetstream jacket. That is exactly why I came here with the questions, I would not have even looked at that one but it seems like the best for my hunting style.

Also, the Jetstream has a hood, which is a feature I really like.

Honestly, I think a lot of the poor reviews of Sitka are from people that don't really understand how it is designed to be used.

Here in idaho my bow hunting outfit is basically a long sleeve sitka shirt a 90% jacket mountain pants and beanie gloves and facemask hasn't failed me yet love the gear and will continue to buy it

great clothing, pricey but it is made well. if you can wait to after season there are usually good sales around that can make it more reasonable. were lucky: todays hunter have several high quality "clothes as gear" manufactures to pic from, long way from the red plaid wool jackets/pants may gramps wore

I've been unable to destroy my ascent pants in 4+ years of hard hunting. There's still some montana clay caked on some of my items from a couple seasons ago but that just adds a little character IMO. After not liking the timberline pants initially, I've warmed up to them and really like not getting a wet butt during glassing sessions. I don't love the knee pads so i took mine out. Maybe they'll get another shot this season. Wyoming antelope stalks come to mind with kneepads. Seems like I find a cactus or 9 every year when I start crawling around.

Every Sitka piece I own has proved to be high quality and worked really well. I try other stuff too but you can't go wrong with Sitka if you really aren't sure what to get.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back