Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Single Shot Shotguns

EOregonian

I am interested in purchasing a single shot shotgun for turkey hunting and for hiking around in the spring looking for sheds. I have pumps and side by side but I like the profile of the single shot for ease of carry since I carry a side arm most of the time anyway. Anyone have suggestions-I have seen Rock Island and Rossi for less than $150 to the Henry that is selling for nearly $400. Any good feedback and I only want a single shot and want to be able to have a sling for it. Also understand that Turkey Hunting in Eastern Oregon is covering country.

Look around at shops and see if you can find a basic, old H and R, etc. I have had one for years, that I have shot all kinds of stuff with. The biggest problem is that it is light and kicks real hard with full loads (if you are sensitive to that). Now, it is pretty much relegated to launching air burst shells to keep the pelicans off my lake!

I am interested in purchasing a single shot shotgun for turkey hunting and for hiking around in the spring looking for sheds. I have pumps and side by side but I like the profile of the single shot for ease of carry since I carry a side arm most of the time anyway. Anyone have suggestions-I have seen Rock Island and Rossi for less than $150 to the Henry that is selling for nearly $400. Any good feedback and I only want a single shot and want to be able to have a sling for it. Also understand that Turkey Hunting in Eastern Oregon is covering country.

I've been kind of looking at them also. Seeing as new guns do not interest me much and are often poorly made, I started focusing on Ithaca Lefever Long Range and Trap guns. That model seems to go for around $350 or so in decent condition. Just about every gauge up to at 12. I don't know if there are 10s or not.

This is one in .410 which has been sitting around for a long time without bids because his opening prices is 2x value. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/810283866

Here is a 16 gauge
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...lafever-long-range-field.cfm?gun_id=101167526

Last edited:
I use a single shot Stevens also and I have to say when I carry it I am a much better shot. Something to be said when you know you only have 1 chance. I got mine a garage sale for $20

I have one of the old stevens in near new condition that I would love to unload (bad pun). However, I cannot guarentee that that particular gun is safe or can be made safe. It has 3 times fired without intent or trigger finger. Once after it was "repaired".

I have an H&R Topper my Dad bought for me
when i was 12yrs. old.Going on 50 yrs and still kickn'
And I do mean Kickn'!!
I call it "The Mule Killer"Cause thats what it feels like to shoot it.
Buddies ask to borrow a shotgun,No Problem.Take the
Mule Killer...And have a nice hunt.Hee,Hee,Hee... 😎

Suck it up Butter Cup, those light single shots pack a wallop on the back side! Even a 20 Ga w/a 3" shell will kick like a mule. I have a screw drilled into my upper mandible and false front tooth to prove it. Dad seemed to think I needed a 3' shell to shoot bunnies when I was 12. :(

That said, a single shot is practical in many situations, but I would suggest a good recoil pad.

Check out the pawn shops in your area.

I forgot about Ithaca and the hammerless models that would be about perfect to pack. Had a buddy in grade school with a H&R we used to hunt prior to going to school around his 40acres but we had to carry a bare shaft arrow-(the vanes were a great grip) to knock out the shell. What a different time we could walk around shooting pheasants and quail at 11-12 yoa and no one thought it was odd or we were going to grow up to be serial killers.

Suck it up Butter Cup, those light single shots pack a wallop on the back side! Even a 20 Ga w/a 3" shell will kick like a mule. I have a screw drilled into my upper mandible and false front tooth to prove it. Dad seemed to think I needed a 3' shell to shoot bunnies when I was 12. :(

That said, a single shot is practical in many situations, but I would suggest a good recoil pad.

Check out the pawn shops in your area.

😎
My Topper is 12ga with shortened stock,for 12yr. old.
Dad equipped it with a butt pad.First shot knocked me
on my Azz.Cried like a little girl,still do when I think about
shooting it again. Lol!

😎
My Topper is 12ga with shortened stock,for 12yr. old.
Dad equipped it with a butt pad.First shot knocked me
on my Azz.Cried like a little girl,still do when I think about
shooting it again. Lol!

That sounds like what happened when I gave it to my kid to kill a jack rabbit. He was pretty young yet, and it gave him a pretty good whipping.

I have a single shot 16 that my dad gave me when started Turkey. I remember always asking why he gets to shoot that lower number gun (12 ga) that doesn't kick you and I'm the little kid and have to shoot the higher number gun? He would just laugh. Man those suckers can have a wallop!

By the way I dont even remember the last time I touched that thing off, but my shoulder does. Maybe I should take it for a walk.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back