Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sika Deer

interesting article. i knew that they were there but didnt know much about the history or numbers. sounds like a road trip coming on :D

They must be pretty elusive, one of my team meambers from Fantasy Hunt '04 said he would be getting one. Uh-um, Bambi, what happened there? :D ;)

From the pics of the WMA's, it looks alot like the low country all around the Carolina's and northern Ga coast. Tidal grass marshes.

I've hunted through thigh-waist deep swamp water before, when the pressure put the deer back in no-mans land. It's a different way to hunt. Very slow, very close. The whitetails will hold tight, and almost make you kick 'em in the butt before they'll move. Had to trail them by looking at the green gunk on the surface of the water and trying to figure out which way they went by the surface disturbance.

You have to have some nerve to ya, too. There are some wicked critters back there. And the bottom is iffy.

Would I do it again? Hell Yeah!

I don't have a link right now but Sika's are also located on Virginia's eastern shore and can be hunted on public land in both Maryland and Virginia. Very elusive often coming out right at or just after dark, the terrain is also usually very thick and ranges are usually short. Boat, canoe, kayak, etc. is very helpful. Just watch out for the wild horses while there.

I have many friends that hunt them hard. They are very tasty and very elusive. Bring your bug repelent and your muck boots!

These little elk are great to hunt. The are an edge animal and like to move across openings like a mouse surries. I live right in the middle of the prime Sika hunting in Maryland. You can hunt the Blackwater National Refugee for a $20 archery permit bought at the visitors center over the counter after September 15th. That is when the season usually starts. They have a broken season on the refugee for archery, but you can pretty well hunt from September till the end of January. Also, there is state land at Fishing Bay that is open and can be archery hunted from September 15th to January 31st. If you are interest in doing thissometime, shoot me a message and we can possibly hook up and I can show you the lay of the land and maybee point you in the right direction. And they are better eating than any whitetail.

Stan

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back