Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sighting in/Shhoting

ttinman23

Gentlemen, my father is new to hunting and tried to sight his shotgun in today. He consistently shoots to the left, actually it doesn't matter what weapon he uses. When I shoot his weapon I am pretty much dead on with the optics. I had a troubleshooting sheet somewhere and can't for the life of me find it and have surfed the net a bit to get causes for shooting left, he is both high and low, but always left.....Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

I am looking forward to this answer as well, as sometimes at the range my girls will suddenly pull shots one direction or another. I can only guess it has something to do with pulling the trigger too sharply....?

Without walking through technique and follow through in person, a chart like this helps point to some of the common errors in pistol shooting. I find they transition fairly well into rifle shooting. The other issue could be the way he's lining up on the scope.
image.jpg

Without walking through technique and follow through in person, a chart like this helps point to some of the common errors in pistol shooting. I find they transition fairly well into rifle shooting. The other issue could be the way he's lining up on the scope.
View attachment 38813

Interesting chart, thanks for sharing that.

As for the OP question, I was thinking the same thing you said Spitz, lining up on the scope is off.

I would have to agree with the rest of the guys. The other thing that might be goin on is he is trying to anticipate the shot and is leaning into the rifle just before it goes off. Just a thought

Does he get decent groups when his point of impact is left of center?

Me and my dad are the same way. He can grab my gun and the POI is an inch or so horizontal and vertical from mine, but we each can usually keep our groups under 1" @ 100. I believe the change in POI all comes down to the basics, scope alignment, cheek weld, grip pressure, trigger pull, etc. We are doing something different in our form, but we are somewhat consistent from shot to shot therefore the groups are roughtly the same size just in a different spot on the target.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back