Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sighting in new bow..10-20 yards

RyanSoNorCal

Trying to sight in new PSE Drive 3B. It’s the PSE 5 pin that comes in the package. Adjusted horizontally and I’m good. It’s just my 20 yard pin is dead on at 10-20 yards. I tried lowering the top pin and shooting at 10 yards but still dead red. I’m trying to set where at 10 yards and top pin dead center I should be a tad high. I haven’t got out past 20 yet.

I don't know much anything about that bow, but mine has perhaps 1" of drop from 10-20 yards in its current set-up. My POI doesn't really change between those distances.

That's what I'd say also. These new bows are so fast you don't need a 10 yard pin. My top pin is 20 yards. then 30, 40, 50, and I have a 12 year old Mathews.

I agree with the others, is there any reason you need a 10 yard pin specifically? Every bow I’ve ever owned I went 20,30,40, etc. Anything under 20 yards, which most of my kills are, just use your 20. If the inch or two difference matters it’s close enough range to just compensate and hold down a tad.

I agree with the others, is there any reason you need a 10 yard pin specifically? Every bow I’ve ever owned I went 20,30,40, etc. Anything under 20 yards, which most of my kills are, just use your 20. If the inch or two difference matters it’s close enough range to just compensate and hold down a tad.
It’s not that I’m setting a 10 yard pin, I was trying to see if sight was set right. I just anticipated using 20 yard pin at 10 yards I would be high. I was pretty much dead red using 20 yard pin at 10-20. From all the replies I’m taking that it’s likely due to the bow. It is pretty fast so that could be it. Thanks!

What these guys have said. My last few bows I’ve started with a 25 yard pin as the differential in point of impact from 0-25 yards has been negligible or easily compensated for. I set my 25 yard pin just down from the top of the housing and then adjust the housing until I’m shooting bullseyes at 25. This way I have enough travel room to set all my other pins.

Most western hunters start their pins at 30 yards. Bows these days are so fast anything inside that range and you will be in the money.

Agreed. The only reason i keep a short pin is for grouse. If not for that i'd start at 30. And i'm sure i could eyeball it if i had to. We're talking fractions of an inch.

Last edited:
My Eastern whitetail treestand bow starts at 20 yards(its a slow bow) and my Western bow(50 fps faster) is a 3 pin slider starting at 30/40/50 yards.

What these guys have said. My last few bows I’ve started with a 25 yard pin as the differential in point of impact from 0-25 yards has been negligible or easily compensated for. I set my 25 yard pin just down from the top of the housing and then adjust the housing until I’m shooting bullseyes at 25. This way I have enough travel room to set all my other pins.
I do the same

I've been bowhunting since 1999 and I'm along ways from an expert. With that said I've never met any other bowhunter that has a 10 yard pin. Just guessing here but I'd say that at least 90% of guys that shoot multi pin sights start out at 20 yards.

My first pin is at 30 so I can have one for 70. I gap shoot for anything closer but would rather not have to guess should I need to get an extra arrow into an animal at distance.

You guys that are shooting one pin out to 30... how heavy are your arrows? I go with 20-60 pins because I have what i feel is significant drop that needs pins after 20 yds. Just wondering if you guys are shooting lighter arrows than mine (roughly 450 gr), have longer draw lengths that add speed (Im at 28 in), or if your bows are just way faster than mine (ibo 320 fps).

I found that I couldn't get 20 and 30 yard pins close enough together with my bow. Now I shoot pins at 25, 40, 50, 60, 70. For hunting this works fine--if I'm close, I can adujust an inch or two on the fly. I shoot a Matthews Chill R, 29" draw, 70 lbs, ~400 grain arrows.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back