Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sight in range for elk?

I use a .340 Weatherby mag loaded with 250 gr Nosler partitions @3050 fps. I have found that sighted 2" high @100 yds is a 300 yd zero. At 200 yds it is 3" high and hits 4" low at 350. I will get closer if possible even shooting at a large animal like elk. Once zeroed I shoot at intermediate ranges from shooting positions, leaning against trees or boulders or from a back pack prone on the ground. I've found that for me personally a 3" inch high zero has caused misses on the high side more than once. The high part of the trajectory is about 5" above zero and any wobble or movement can throw the bullet high enough to cut hair or miss completely. That's why I've gone to the 2" high zero. I've personally missed a good bull that I was 200 yds above on a sharp ridge by combining the high part of the trajectory and a the high angle to cut a few hairs and watch him run. No more. GJ

Last edited:
10-4 Vik.
And when done precisely, is rarely is exactly 200 yards.

Yup. Bones, I am sure you know, but for OP, any number of free websites/phone apps will calculate your mpbr and tell you how high to zero at 100 yds (or at whatever your site target distance is). If you PM me your selected bullet weight, muzzle velocity, ballistics coefficient and yards to zeroing target I will get you the necessary number (once).

Back