Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Side Sleeper Bags

JoltnJoe

Anybody out there try the Nemo Spoon Style Sleeping bags for side sleepers? Love my big agnes shoestring bag, but poor circulation from restricted movement in the knee and elbow areas tends to wake me up in pain. TIA

I have the Nemo Sonic 0 degree bag. It’s a little different from the classic spoon shape of the Riff or Disco in that it has an elastic knee section vs fixed, but I am able to do so much more turning and finding alternate sleeping positions than what a mummy would ever allow: stomach sleep with a knee kicked out, side sleep with knees kinda up, etc. Very well made bags.

I went the quilt insulated pad route. Pretty good but you have to have decent hat or one long enough to fully cover up.

I have the Nocturn 15. It's a very comfortable bag but that 15 is the extreme survival rating! I would say it's maybe a 30 or 40 degree bag.

I was gonna recommend a Big Agnes, but see you have that covered. Maybe try one of their Classic bags instead of the mummy style? I'm a side sleeper as well and have gotten along fine with a Lost Ranger.

Plenty of very good, high quality quilts out there to choose from.

Quilt for me. I have wide shoulders, and a side sleeper. Switched to a quilt and life is good.

I'm not a side sleeper, but the Montbell spiral bags are a bit stretcher and more forgiving than most mummy bags.

I have a Nemo Steelhead bag which is an older model spoon bag. It’s definitely much roomier then regular mummy style bags. I have wide shoulders and sleep on my side. If it’s really cold and I actually zip myself all the way inside my shoulders will be sore after a few days from being pushed together. It’s a bit uncomfortable so I may be looking into the quilts in the future.

I move a lot tossing and turning all night. When I had my mummy bag I felt like I was in knots. I tried out a quilt last year and absolutely loved it. I will never go back to a bag. I bought one from VIAM outdoors. You can get a 10 degree for right at around $200.00.

Back