Side-by-Side Shotguns

Some people have talked about the cz's a little bit both pro and con and I wanted to weigh in on that. I own a bobwhite g2 in 20 gauge with 28 inch barrels with screw in choke tubes. My gun has a color case-hardened receiver. The gun is steel shot rated and that's why I got it. Some of my hunting areas require nontoxic shot and I wanted a working class double to hunt with in the rain and blackberry brush. It weighs close to 6.5 pounds and has extractors not ejectors. Mine balances on the hinge. My wood was pretty plain but the fit and finish was very good. All in alI I've been very happy with mine. I think they are hard to beat for the money. For those people looking for a hunting sxs and don't want to spend a lot and don't feel comfortable buying an older gun then this is a good option. I currently have 7 doubles and this is near the bottom in cost but can tell you that the quality punches above the price point. We'll worth the money imo. I will also say that if you haven't used a double you should try it. Once I did I was hooked and rarely use anything else. I do use sxs and over/under and don't have a strong preference for either.

I had a stevens 311 in 12 ga. that I sold for some reason. Now I have it in a 16, and it has .410 sleeves. I also have a CZ Bobwhite 20. It’s a little stiff, but it hasn’t been shot much yet.

Must make some people wonder what they are paying for when the CZ Bobwhite come's with five choke tubes, a sock and a hard side case! I've got two, one bought new and not one bad thing to say about them. Also have three AyA SxS's and actually find no advantage to the AyA's, Love both brands!

Must make some people wonder what they are paying for when the CZ Bobwhite come's with five choke tubes, a sock and a hard side case! I've got two, one bought new and not one bad thing to say about them. Also have three AyA SxS's and actually find no advantage to the AyA's, Love both brands!

The CZ's are fantastic values for what you get, and I recommend them often to folks who want a knockabout gun that will take a lot of abuse. They had some issues with the firing pins being brittle at first, but I think that's been fixed.

However, what you point to are all externalities and things that don't go into the actual making of a firearm aside from the choke tubes - even then, it has nothing to do with the quality of steel used, fit and finish of the action parts, finish, engraving, handfitting, balance, scale, weight and swing. The differences between my Alex Martin and my old CZ ringneck when it comes to actual craftsmanship and longevity are miles apart. I doubt that a CZ, as good of a gun as they are, will be in similar shape 150 years from now as my AM.

Hope you find a sxs that works for you Southern Elk. Obviously you have been searching for some time.

Part of me is hesitant to drawing attention to these guns when I want to buy more of them. Only mentioned once in this thread and no longer in production, the Winchester Model 23. The few pics I actually have of it apparently, mine on the table being cleaned next to an O/U Winchester Model 101 super pigeon. My dad (far R) holding another Model 23. Both serial numbers are under 1000, his under 250. We have the 2 Model 23’s and 4 Model 101’s in the family. His has a 28” barrel with interchangeable chokes, mine is 26” with fixed chokes. Busting thick brush for pheasants with the shorter barrel is definitely fun. After thousands of rounds, the only maintenance they needed was replacing the firing pin spring which had broken. My stock has taken a beating as well and needs replacing eventually. The way they come up and shoot though is flawless and classic, an extension of my hands. If they havent been in our family since new in the 80’s, they were bought at a Cabelas gun library in the midwest.

2DDA1140-687D-49F3-9A77-B42D71811297.jpeg8187736E-ECD1-4DBF-852F-0E3C3C6CFA08.jpegC972263C-5F5A-4F1F-A650-6226E7117E15.jpeg

The CZ's are fantastic values for what you get, and I recommend them often to folks who want a knockabout gun that will take a lot of abuse. They had some issues with the firing pins being brittle at first, but I think that's been fixed.

However, what you point to are all externalities and things that don't go into the actual making of a firearm aside from the choke tubes - even then, it has nothing to do with the quality of steel used, fit and finish of the action parts, finish, engraving, handfitting, balance, scale, weight and swing. The differences between my Alex Martin and my old CZ ringneck when it comes to actual craftsmanship and longevity are miles apart. I doubt that a CZ, as good of a gun as they are, will be in similar shape 150 years from now as my AM.
You make a great point here. But 150yrs from now I'm not gonna be in that grate of shape either! :) Where my CZ guns will be I haven't a clue. I'm 76 now, 77 next March, and suspect if the guns only last 10 yrs, they will out last me! Something I've noticed about people that buy guns; they seem to be interested craftsmanship they can see more than anything else and good many time that is a pretty fine line! I buy guns to use and not as investment's of pretty things to show off. I am absolutely amazed the money some will pay for an English SxS! $100k plus for a gun you take into the swamp to shoot a duck?

No, still dreaming about one though.
Shit I’ve bought 3 since this thread started!

Big fan of the CZ bobwhite. Have hunted and used the crap out of one the past 3 seasons. In 28 gauge.
For me the focal plane of a side by side is just the one for me…especially on flushing birds.

You make a great point here. But 150yrs from now I'm not gonna be in that grate of shape either! :) Where my CZ guns will be I haven't a clue. I'm 76 now, 77 next March, and suspect if the guns only last 10 yrs, they will out last me! Something I've noticed about people that buy guns; they seem to be interested craftsmanship they can see more than anything else and good many time that is a pretty fine line! I buy guns to use and not as investment's of pretty things to show off. I am absolutely amazed the money some will pay for an English SxS! $100k plus for a gun you take into the swamp to shoot a duck?
Valid point Don. Some folks like function and beauty, others would just as soon have a Ruger 77 boat paddle if it shoots, to use a rifle analogy. Nothing wrong either way.

I'm curious about the longevity as well. I bought my bobwhite to use as I suspect most cz owners do as well. Good or bad weather it goes out. Finer guns are often left in the cabinet so that may contribute to their longevity. I've shot my bobwhite quite a bit and it seems to be doing just fine. I think it's going to outlast me.

I'm curious about the longevity as well. I bought my bobwhite to use as I suspect most cz owners do as well. Good or bad weather it goes out. Finer guns are often left in the cabinet so that may contribute to their longevity. I've shot my bobwhite quite a bit and it seems to be doing just fine. I think it's going to outlast me.
Not a CZ and not left in the cabinet on a rainy day. Made in 1903, it is 119 yrs old and will probably still be knocking around another century from now. If you think vintage guns are fragile, you have another think coming. They have already proven their longevity and nothing has changed that.

2018 Gus Me and BW Teal.jpg

2019 3 Blue Wings and Greener with mud.jpg

Attachments

• 2019 3 Blue Wings and Greener with mud.jpg
    2019 3 Blue Wings and Greener with mud.jpg
    678.6 KB · Views: 6
Not a CZ and not left in the cabinet on a rainy day. Made in 1903, it is 119 yrs old and will probably still be knocking around another century from now. If you think vintage guns are fragile, you have another think coming. They have already proven their longevity and nothing has changed that.

View attachment 256171

View attachment 256172
I didn't say fragile. Out of curiosity what load are you using? I'm assuming bismuth.

Back