Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Show me your reloading setups!

king1886ranch

Made a good deal on cattle this year and I’m fixing to finally start building my shop. I’m going to start with my 45’x60’ slab and put a 45’ HQ shipping container on one side. This whole container is going to be my gun shop, starting with my reloading bench. I’ve got a ton of equipment and even more supplies. So give me some inspiration and show me what ya got!

Will the container be climate controlled/insulated?

I would go standing height as well. Make dovetail slots to slide presses in/out of the top with blank counter top inserts to replace them when their not on the bench.

For the main bench I used a countertop from Home Depots salvage bin. Good price, but that color & pattern can make finding a dropped screw or primer harder to find. It's solid and the cabinet pieces it's mounted on are handy (and full). As @cahunter805 said, it's tough to have enough shelves/storage. Also, bullets and ammo are heavy, get good strong shelves.
ReloadRoom1.jpg

I dont show many pics of my reloading/gun rooms! I built mine desk height cause i can sit in a office chair a lot longer then a stool with my back. Build more than you think you need and overbuild the hell out of counters and shelves to handle weight and strain of supplies and presses. My benches are all 2x6 frame with 4x4 legs with 3/4 maple plywood tops and anchored to wall. All my presses either have 2x6s directly supporting or steel backer plates. I have steel shelfing that holds all my bulk supplies, got from lowes work great. Not sure where your located but watch temps and humidity in a container and make sure you have good lighting.

The bar height bench is more comfortable for me and a nice feature. I like inline fabrication press mounts.

I suggest not going very wide/deep on the bench top. Even my shallow top collects extra stuff behind the press. I think mine is only 25 inches but 18 would be fine.

I have harbor freight drawers on mine that I mean to add to the side-https://www.harborfreight.com/145-in-end-cabinet-red-64358.html

Will the container be climate controlled/insulated?

I would go standing height as well. Make dovetail slots to slide presses in/out of the top with blank counter top inserts to replace them when their not on the bench.
Yes it will be insulated and climate controlled.

I’ve also got a 25’ counter top that came out of a lumber yard. It’s very stout.

I am in mid-redo of mine so no pic for a while but a few thoughts for your consideration.

• Look into French cleats for walls (plenty of good videos on youtube)
  • Make sure your bench is rock solid. Doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, but should be solid.
  • Lighting, lighting, lighting. Great lighting will be much appreciated.
  • Plan more storage space than you think you need - kind of like buying a gun safe - you will always fill it up.
  • Simple 2x4 construction with 3/4" MDF underneath 3/4" melamine top makes a pretty sturdy and easy-to-maintain bench.
  • Watch sales at big box stores and sometimes you can grab clearance or scratch/dent tool drawer chests for a fraction of listed cost.

Last edited:
I built this in an apartment garage and moved it up to a third floor apartment. Then moved it into a rental house when we moved to WY. Moved it to our house when we bought it. Wish I would have done a few things differently but it’s still managing to work for me. Now that we’re in a house we’ll stay in for awhile, I’m planning to build a more permanent solution. Might cut this one apart and use parts of it, or just sell it outright.

Attachments

• E5BE041E-F920-4402-BCE0-F44F3A9AE8C3.jpeg
    E5BE041E-F920-4402-BCE0-F44F3A9AE8C3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
  • 90A9E591-6EA5-43D3-8890-52D05600E41F.jpeg
    90A9E591-6EA5-43D3-8890-52D05600E41F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member