Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Shoulder Bump-De-prime first?

Curious for those of you using a decapping die. What do you mean “keep your dies clean”?
I use Redding sizing wax and clean my die after use. Never had a problem with a dirty die.
When I started reloading about 7 years ago, my internet research turned up a lot of recommendations to decap and clean brass before sizing. Probably shouldn't have said keeping the die clean, but keeping any crud stuck to the brass from scarring up the brass when sizing. Like I said, I have always decapped first so I dont know if it is really worth worrying about, but the extra cost and time were minimal so I decided to decap first.

I just got my first Lee collet die a year or so ago, for 243 also. Seem's to me to work fine but necessary to really push down hard on the press handle to get the neck where it need's to be. Otherwise you put a bullet in the neck and it just falls through. Something I really like about the collet die is the necks no longer stretch being pulled over the expander. Think I got another for my 30-06 with same thing. Never though about that when I first got them. In fact not eeven sure why I got them in the first place anymore.
I put the center
I just got my first Lee collet die a year or so ago, for 243 also. Seem's to me to work fine but necessary to really push down hard on the press handle to get the neck where it need's to be. Otherwise you put a bullet in the neck and it just falls through. Something I really like about the collet die is the necks no longer stretch being pulled over the expander. Think I got another for my 30-06 with same thing. Never though about that when I first got them. In fact not eeven sure why I got them in the first place anymore.
TIP ONE — Adjusting Tension
LEE Collet dies don’t have a specific mechanical adjustment for neck tension. But you CAN easily modify the die to provide more or less tension. If you want to adjust the neck tension using a Lee Collet die, you can simply chuck the mandrel in a drill and reduce the diameter with some sand-paper (to increase neck tension) or you can order a mandrel the next caliber larger and turn it to whatever diameter you want (the larger the mandrel diameter, the less the neck tension). You can also order custom mandrels from Lee sized to any diameter you want.

I have a new 280 AI that I plan to fire form brass and shoulder bump with FL sizer. I've been reading past posts and watching a few videos. My past reloading I just full length sized, removing the primer at same time. I'm now looking for more precision.
It seems most are suggesting to de cap with a universal die then start the shoulder bump process. Can someone explain why to de-prime first as opposed to punching the primer with FL die as would normally be done with a FL RCBS die with adjustable decap pin. My apologies if I don't see the forest through the trees, just wondering why the extra step.
I like to decap after a couple or three times through the guns so I can clean out the primer pockets too. I have a progressive Dillon so reloading goes much faster first and second run of the brass. I built a decapper from an old micro arbor press. Lathed a 1/4-20 bolt and inserted a hardened die pin. Milled a bunch of plates doubled sided for different size extractor rings. Works perfect on the TV tray in front of the TV while sampling some cold delicious.

Attachments

• 16100624911772634279596256093940.jpg
    16100624911772634279596256093940.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Curious for those of you using a decapping die. What do you mean “keep your dies clean”?
I use Redding sizing wax and clean my die after use. Never had a problem with a dirty die.
Clean cases before resizing to keep dies clean. Decap before cleaning to clean out primer pockets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back