Should I buy a .338?

No.
Don't buy something just because and damn sure don't buy a gun that you won't enjoy shooting
Years ago I'd of said buy it all day. The older I get I can't justify something I won't use a lot. Of all the guns in the safe maybe three get taken out every year. Could probably use that money elsewhere. I wouldn't let recoil be the reason not to buy it though if that's the only hang up.

Last edited:
If you want to buy it for sentimental reasons, who are we to say?

If you want to be a more effective hunter, a 223 bolt gun and a 1000 rounds of ammo for realistic practice are probably a better investment. I have no idea what your riflemanship skill is, maybe you have that covered.

Either way, be cautious of the advice of internet bros...... :LOL:
I agree for practicality. But I shoot more rounds of .223 and 9mm than I can count every year. I know this isn’t a practical idea, just something I want to mess around with.

Years ago I'd of said buy it all day. The older I get I can't justify something I won't use a lot of all the guns in the safe maybe three get taken out every year. Could probably use that money elsewhere.
This is the nagging thought in the back of my mind that’s kept me from breaking out the cash.

This is the nagging thought in the back of my mind that’s kept me from breaking out the cash.
Last few guns I've bought I've turned around and sold after buying them and not n using em. Do you need it or do you just like the gun? If I had unlimited funds it would be a different story.

I've got a Winchester Mdl 70 338WM in the safe. It has killed one elk, almost could have used a bayonet on the end of the barrel for that bull. It did have a bit of recoil, kind of hard to get through a box of ammo at the bench. Had the barrel EDM ported and a Limbsaver recoil pad installed and it made it quite a bit better. Last year started working up 185TTSX loads, but lost interest at the time. Still in the safe.

It makes me flinch just thinking about it, You are a bigger man than I am if you can enjoy shooting it LOL.
Dunno about 338 (assume Win mag version of that caliber) since I have such a low round count with it but a well stocked 375 H&H is surprisingly pleasant to shoot.
Grew up required to use 12ga slugs for deer (20 gauge slugs hadn't gotten half as good as they are now) and as a result of that massive flinch and some TBI brain injuries ive become quite recoil adverse in my later half of adult years.

Despite that I haven't found the 375H&H to be difficult or hard to shoot.
My (limited) experience has taught me that mags in 338 should be either very heavy, heavily braked (hate brakes!), and/or wearing a suppressor.
But under those circumstances even the hottest 338 round isn't horrid to shoot.
Especially for a guy who is used to 3.5" 12 ga turkey loads.

I use my .338 WM almost exclusively for big game. Even deer. It's a hell of a shooter and I enjoy shooting it. They kick a little, but it's nothing you can't get over by not being a sally! A good recoil pad makes a big difference. If you're sensitive to recoil, don't load the rounds so hot.

There's nothing on this planet it can't kill. You are required a little bigger for some of the African animals, but otherwise it's capable.

I've been shooting 230gr ELD-X bullets and have really been liking them.

It's a classic round that knocks big critters down! You'd be foolish to not buy it ;)
Anyone who thinks someone who is sensitive to recoil is a "Sally" is either a fool or acting like one online.
EVERYONE is recoil sensitive whether they admit or not.
Otherwise the rest of your response is spot on.

Ego will never defeat physics no matter how much
we want it to do so.

Like said, it's not a gun you just sit down on a bench and enjoy shooting over and over. Like anything, it has a purpose, fantastic caliber for killing just about anything of size. Recoil is manageable with good shooting form and a good recoil pad. The recoil has a tendency to rock up and lift, rather than coming straight back. I've had a number of people scope themselves good on mine and it's got a decent amount of eye relief on the scope.

Also plan on putting a good piece of glass on top, the recoil will eat reticles on cheaper scopes....
While I'm firmly in the BUY IT category I also think that it's foolish to buy a rifle for hunting that you can't practice with!
Either be a Sally and add a brake (hate em) or cut the barrel and put on a suppressor (like a man right?!).

If nothing else at least by a 5.56 or 6.5cm version of the same.rifle for practice!

Years ago I'd of said buy it all day. The older I get I can't justify something I won't use a lot of all the guns in the safe maybe three get taken out every year. Could probably use that money elsewhere.
Yes. Specifically on better optics and suppressors for your 3 or 5 or whatever "most used" rifles!

They certainly recoil more than necessary, but I’ve shot a similar weight .338 win mag that belonged to a buddy’s dad. His was an old Sako. I’d say it was no more uncomfortable to shoot than my lighter weight .300 Winchester, which I shoot well. I wouldn’t train a kid on either one, but for a grown man and experienced shooter I don’t think it’s that much of an issue.

Anyone who thinks someone who is sensitive to recoil is a "Sally" is either a fool or acting like one online.
EVERYONE is recoil sensitive whether they admit or not.
Otherwise the rest of your response is spot on.

Ego will never defeat physics no matter how much
we want it to do so.
I joke with the sally part.

I understand everyone has different tolerances for recoil. For me, I have been shooting this gun for quite awhile. It kicks every time, just stay loose, and absorb it. I noticed that a lighter trigger helped me when I first started shooting it. A hard trigger pull would cause me to tense up a little bit before the firing pin dropped.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back