Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Should I buy a .338?

It's all about you, I know. Good for you.
You have watched too many videos of people shooting braked Barrett 50 BMG, a 338 doesn't do that. My braked 338 has a Gentry Quiet Muzzle Brake on it. Never had an issue the couple of times I've shot it at a range. Even did an indoor range while in college. 0 issues.

It's all about me? I'm not telling you have to use a muzzle brake... You're whining because some people have them. I don't care if you do or don't have one.

Depends on how the brake is made, right! Some throw the gasses forward, and some blow the sideways and some to the back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It’s true. Some young guy with a braked .223 set up on the range only 30 yards away from the bench my wife was shooting on. I tried yelling to her. “Run Sarah! Get behind the car!” She couldn’t hear because she had four sets of ear protection on. Our camera caught one last video of my poor wife as the flat-brimmed monster touched off his first round.

1699325646282.gif

It’s true. Some young guy with a braked .223 set up on the range only 30 yards away from the bench my wife was shooting on. I tried yelling to her. “Run Sarah! Get behind the car!” She couldn’t hear because she had four sets of ear protection on. Our camera caught one last video of my poor wife as the flat-brimmed monster touched off his first round.

View attachment 300618
There ya go. I rest my case.

Reactions: stk
I think a big part of this decision should be a consideration regarding what sacrifices you have made to The Hunting Gods, and whether or not they will spite you soon.

If you buy this gun:

-You'll start hunting on horseback
-You'll draw a moose tag
-You'll stain granite with the blood of a nice 6 point bull (see Buzz's post above) on a clear morning

If you don't:

-That griz is gonna charge you and all you'll have is that 20 gauge benelli in your paws
I couldn’t argue with this logic. It’s going to kill an elk next fall, and I anticipate drawing a moose tag as well.

IMG_7086.jpeg

There's a simple truth, the 338 with any bullet will not kill say elk any deader than my 6.5x55! It certainly may allow you to take different shots though. It will also give a lot more recoil. Have had two 338's and a 7mm Rem Mag and will never shoot a magnum again. On elk my last three years hunting them I used my 30-06. Got three elk with three shots. Did equally well with my 6.5x06 and 140gr bullets, three for three and the one's shot with the 6.5x06 were just as dead as those shot with the 30-06. Never did shoot an elk with my 338's or my 7mm mag but don't think they would have been any deader! I am certain my 6.5x55 would do the same thing with well placed shots.

Something a lot of people don't seem to realize is that it's not the cartridge that kills, it's how you use the cartridge you have!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back