Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Shotgun recommendations

I am not a fan of semi auto shotguns but, I have owned a couple. If I was to have one again it would probably be another Browning Double auto. Mine was a 12 ga and best upland gun I ever owned.

Other than the one's that get out of the factory with flaws, I believe probably most will serve you well longer than you could believe. I also think the less expensive one's that fail actually fail for lack of care! Most people go out and pay a premium for anything and they take care of it Get a hot deal at low cost and suddenly care just isn't that important anymore, to inexpensive to replace! If for some reason I was to go look for a semi auto today and didnt look for a Browning Double Auto, I'd look for one I like the looks and feel of and the price of and call it good.

You can’t go wrong with the three B’s...Beretta, Benelli, or Browning. With your budget, Beretta A300 should do the trick. I have the previous version (3901) and that thing just flat out shoots. Nothing fancy but it runs and never gives me any trouble.

3rd Win SX-4. I have a SX-3 and when they came out they were more money than the SX-4. My 3 will shoot anything, mixed with shells, wet shells, light shells, heavy shells, dirty gun, dropped in mud gun, fell off atv, lead, Steal. What I am trying to say is mine is flawless. Can’t make it fail. Did I mention it shoots really really fast?

Upland gun? Montefeltro or this Franchi Affinity Select.

Beautiful guns. I have the Monte in 20ga and Affinity in 12ga.

Duck gun? SBE3, M2 or Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus. I have the A400 and love the hell out of it.

Montefeltro is a great gun. I shoot a Super 90 because I prefer the way it comes up but I know a few guys that shoot the Montefeltro and they've been happy.

The Montefeltro is a great gun. I was always afraid I’d scratch mine though, and I always caught myself looking over the end of the barrel when sighting. I tried an M2, and that was the ticket. Prints me perfectly, made to get scratched, and is unapologetically reliable even in the salt marsh.

I think I have shot all the shotguns mentioned on here. They all have a different feel and fit. There are tons of good semis, I personally I would look for a reliable gas gun. Take your son to a sporting good store where he can handle many of them. Let him get a favorite or two. Come back a few days later and do it again. Have him close his eyes, shoulder the gun and the open his eyes and see he is pointing where he is looking. Go with fit first. Good luck.

If considering a Beretta I would advise synthetic. The wood in the fore ends is very thin. Several guys at the club had to replace theirs.

SX3 is superior to the SX4 in fit finish and reliability (that's why they were more money new). If you can find a gently used sx3 that's a great gun.

Gently used Benellis(m2 or SBE) are great guns as well. Monetefeltro comes with caveats and has been more targeted towards entry level upland semi auto market; wood stock or no comfortech available in the synthetic, gloss finish, different bolt, lower rib height, not as many chokes, box instead of plastic case, not compatible with mag extensions, but virtually the same guts and frame as the m2. With benellis just be prepared to change out your recoil spring in the stock every few years (depending on how much you shoot). Very easy and cheap, wolf springs makes one for like 15 bucks. I shoot an M2 and changed out my spring for the second time since I bought in 2011.

Beretta 390s and 391s if my memory serves me are great used guns as well. Similar to the Sx3, many users claim the older berettas are superior to the new 400 series xtreme. 394? I think is also another good one. May want to do some digging into that.

I sold guns for a few years not long ago. Totally anecdotal but in my experience I stay away from most Browning shotguns, especially the golds and maxxus, older stoegers had lots of problems, mid tier newer berettas are kind of lack luster, new a400 series are smooth shooters and really nice looking guns but they tend to show wear really badly. Never held a remington semi auto I liked and they didn't sell worth a poop when I sold guns either, the ones that did always seem to come back or have problems. Small sample size but remington everything just seem to go down hill in the last decade. Camo benellis get faded and turn white in high contact areas so I always recommend black. The benelli vinci seemed to have poor resale value.

The euro made Benelli SBE and M1 super 90s could fit the 4th shell on the carrier when loaded from the top. I hear of some guys being able to do it with newer models but my m2 can't and neither can my brothers. Should be able to find one of the euros for 600-800 bucks depending on your market.

No matter what you pick make sure it fits you. Imagine painting the very top of the rib completely white and then shoulder the gun. If you can see any white, generally it doesn't fit and you'll shoot high. Shim the gun if possible or try a different model. You shouldn't see any white on top of the rib. Just the rear of the receiver and the bead sitting on top of the rib. It's one of the biggest mistakes guys make when they buy their first over an under. Browning O/Us fit almost everyone, Beretta's fit far fewer people. Of course you can always learn to shoot it with improper fit.

Last edited:
SX3 is superior to the SX4 in fit finish and reliability (that's why they were more money new). If you can find a gently used sx3 that's a great gun.

Gently used Benellis(m2 or SBE) are great guns as well. Monetefeltro comes with caveats and has been more targeted towards entry level upland semi auto market; wood stock or no comfortech available in the synthetic, gloss finish, different bolt, lower rib height, not as many chokes, box instead of plastic case, not compatible with mag extensions, but same exact guts and frame as the m2. With benellis just be prepared to change out your recoil spring in the stock every few years (depending on how much you shoot). Very easy and cheap, wolf springs makes one for like 15 bucks. I shoot an M2 and changed out my spring for the second time since I bought in 2011.

Beretta 390s and 391s if my memory serves me are great used guns as well. Similar to the Sx3, many users claim the older berettas are superior to the new 400 series xtreme. 394? I think is also another good one. May want to do some digging into that.

I sold guns for a few years not long ago. Totally anecdotal but in my experience I stay away from most Browning shotguns, especially the golds and maxxus, older stoegers had lots of problems, mid tier newer berettas are kind of lack luster, new a400 series are smooth shooters and really nice looking guns but they tend to show wear really badly. Never held a remington semi auto I liked and they didn't sell worth a poop when I sold guns either, the ones that did always seem to come back or have problems. Small sample size but remington everything just seem to go down hill in the last decade. Camo benellis get faded and turn white in high contact areas so I always recommend black. The benelli vinci seemed to have poor resale value.

The euro made Benelli SBE and M1 super 90s could fit the 4th shell on the carrier when loaded from the top. I hear of some guys being able to do it with newer models but my m2 can't and neither can my brothers. Should be able to find one of the euros for 600-800 bucks depending on your market.

No matter what you pick make sure it fits you. Imagine painting the very top of the rib completely white and then shoulder the gun. If you can see any white, generally it doesn't fit and you'll shoot high. Shim the gun if possible or try a different model. You shouldn't see any white on top of the rib. Just the rear of the receiver and the bead sitting on top of the rib. It's one of the biggest mistakes guys make when they buy their first over an under. Browning O/Us fit almost everyone, Beretta's fit far fewer people. Of course you can always learn to shoot it with improper fit.
What he plans to do with the gun may dictate the fit. Turkey and deer hunters will of course want a flat shooting shotgun that fits as you describe. Most trap and skeet shooters prefer one that patterns high (trap shooters prefer 60-70% of pattern above the bull at 16 yds) so they want to be looking up the rib (seeing white). Some waterfowl hunters also prefer high shooting shotguns. I prefer to shoot the same gun with the same pattern no matter what I'm doing - flat (50% above and 50% below the bull). Like you said, anyone can learn to shoot a crappy fitting gun ... but usually they won't shoot it well with any speed involved. I can make just about any shotgun work on the trap range or behind my goose decoys ... but low gun skeet or upland hunting is a different story! Then a poor fit = a lot of missed birds/targets ... and maybe a sore cheek or bloody nose.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back