Shotgun recommendations

Oneye

What recommendations does everyone have for a new 12 ga. shotgun, semi-automatic, preferably $1,000 and under.

Benelli Montefeltro
^^^^^^ There is simply no better value. These things will shoot a lifetime and your kid's lifetime after that. The M2 is a nice little upgrade if it fits the budget. A Beretta A300 or A400 will be softer shooting but a little more work to clean and keep cycling - the pros/cons of gas guns. Have fun!

Last edited:
Go to your LGS and handle/shoulder as many as you can. Your budget puts you right on the edge of the next level of shotguns. $500 more would put you into some great shotguns

I’ve used and abused a Remington versamax for many years. The only thing I’ve done to it is had it cerakoted, but besides that it has cycled every shell ive put into it. Makes a good canoe paddle as well.

I don't have a nice semiauto...Mine is a Stoeger M3500 Waterfowler...came with an extra set of Carlson chokes and extended bolt & bigger trigger for gloved hands. It doesn't always like light 2-3/4 shells though though after a few boxes of heavy 3.5 loads it will process most anything

CZ712, or 912.
Depends on if you want inertia, or gas.
Love my CZ720!
And at $500, leaves room for ammo.

A nice side-by-side is automatic for 2 shots. English is nice, but continentals are probably better values. Some American's can be had as well in your price range.

Just sayin', in case you haven't considered them... :)

I own a couple of both and I'd take the franchi over the montefeltro. Unless of course you want to go over your budget and buy a new m2. Personally I'd buy a used m2 and never look back if your sticking with that budget. The m2 and the franchi your paying for functionality the montefeltro more towards aesthetics. I know @VikingsGuy will disagree he never misses a chance to be voluntary ambassador for the montefeltro. If your really on a strict budget buy the franchi and spend the extra money on some carlsons choke tubes for it.

Last edited:
I own a couple of both and I'd take the franchi over the montefeltro. Unless of course you want to go over your budget and buy a new m2. Personally I'd buy a used m2 and never look back if your sticking with that budget. The m2 and the franchi your paying for functionality the montefeltro more towards aesthetics. I know @VikingsGuy will disagree he never misses a chance to be voluntary ambassador for the montefeltro.
I celebrate your enthusiasm for the M2, and accept your comparisons between franchi and monte, as I have never shot a franchi. But have lots of experience with monte and don’t apologize for its reputation.

I’d be giving the Winchester SX4 or SX3 a look and also the Franchi Affinity. I guess it depends what you’re going to do with it but I’d get a 3.5” gun, no sense in limiting yourself if you ever feel the need to shoot 3.5” shells, I’ve been there many times.

Last edited:
I'd second the the Winchester SX-4. I just recently acquired one for myself, 12 gauge, 3" chamber. Shoots nice, balances well, comes with 3 choke tubes, IC, IMP, & full.

Back