MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Shotgun help

Hey, you got it right SRR.

There is NO risk shooting bigger steel shot through a full choke...the same as shooting 4-buck lead through it...according the the people that designed, manufactured, and provide warranty for the gun.

Uh, yeah I did...they RECOMMEND...they didnt say anything about it being unsafe for you or your firearm to shoot larger steel shot.

Remington also doesnt recommend shooting 4buck through a full choke either...but it surely isnt unsafe to do so.

I attended a DU/Remington sponsored seminar on this very subject. The Remington rep. that was there told about 125 people there was nothing wrong with shooting a full choke and any size steel shot.

Pick your expert...

If you dont want to shoot larger than 4 shot steel through your full choke Remington...dont, I couldnt care less.

But it isnt going to hurt your barrel or your shotgun to do so, I've shot a few thousand rounds of steel through mine with narry a problem or sign of any damage...just like I was told 20 years ago.

oh ok...I never knew the debate was whether it was safe. I wouldn't have said that it was unsafe, just that a guy might get better results using a more open choke, especially with the larger sizes of steel shot. You're the first person I've ever heard recommending a full choke with steel shot. All the experts recommend not using a full choke with steel shot, and especially with the larger sizes of steel shot. I'm guessing, as you said in a previous post, that you're just lucky.

WH, actually I think it was rumor started by the waterfowl about 6 years ago that you shouldnt use a full choke and steel shot, their numbers dwindled everytime the full choke took to the fields. I've been pretty easy on the fowl for about 5-6 years. I've heard the same thing you have...that modified chokes work "better". I just find it tough to argue with success...

wf3.JPG

wf1.JPG

wf5.JPG

wf8.JPG

I really need to start hunting ducks and geese more...I miss it.

Sounds like a deal...I bet ducks and geese hate both!

We used to have some great spots for ducks and geese around Missoula, I bet they're still good.

Stoger

I just read an advertisment in Turkey Call for the Brand spankin new Stoeger P-350 lead, steel, slugs. 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2 mag. Synthetic stock. $269. I will start calling in the morning to see where I can track one down. You know that guy on the outdoor chanel who hosts one of the gun programs always talks about stoeger.. I think I will check out their web page now that I think about it.. :D

Not bad info there..Didnt know that they are affiliated with Beneli though. they show the P 350 for 280 also. and the 2000 series is in at just over 400. You can always keep your eye open at walmart. They have had the best prices on guns that I have bought.. All the other ones were won at NWTF banquets... Ya Kevin Im rubbin it in..

All this bout my gun this and they say that. If you don't pattern your gun with various chokes and steel shot sizes all you have is conjecture. I have an SP-10 that digests Wincester Supreme BBB's like a mofo with a modified choke and the pattern is blow apart with a full or improved tube. Don't Take anybody's advice buy the gun, then put it on paper.
my 2 cents
WD

Washington Hunter said:
Gotta agree with Wally Dog. That's why it's best to get a gun with choke tubes. Much more versatile than a fixed choke.
Yes but some companies have trouble getting any consistancy in their choke tube manufacturing. I have a benelli that with factory tubes shoots around the clock. 12' to 18" from point of aim, just depends on what tube is in it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back