Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Is less more?

I don’t shoot my shotgun much, if at all outside of season. So I can’t speak intelligently on shooting practice. But I do feel the shot is only half the battle, at least for educated ruffies in northern WI. Being ready and slowing the shot process a half beat is the other half.

What I mean, is that how you move through the crap is important. Keep your balance, keep your focus, be cognizant of how you approach the cover, keep your shotgun ready, etc. And in my experience you usually have a half second more than you think you do. Taking that extra breath to settle yourself and make a better first shot goes a long way too. So in that sense, I get some practice as I’m moving through woods in the off-season.

I’m ready. Is it fall yet?

I missed a lot of quail last year. More than I hit for sure. I’ve shot trap once. I realized I was shooting low. I want to hit the trap range a lot more frequently this year.

One of my retirement dreams was to shoot more and improve as a shotgunner.
In the past, living in rural Alaska there was only trap and that was the same day as our retriever club training day.
So I only shot at live birds while hunting: ptarmigan in August, waterfowl in September/October in Alaska.

I enjoy shooting and was lucky enough to winter near Polson MT.
I shot at least 100 targets every week, even during hunting season.
Sporting Clays in Polson is a blast and I enjoyed skeet shooting at BigFork.
During hunting season since I am now retired, I only hunt weekdays so
either shoot 100 targets sporting clays on Saturday or skeet 100 targets sporting clays on Sunday.
My shooting has definitely improved and I've had great fun.
My wife enjoys pulling for me at the Polson Big Sky Sporting Clays if I can't find another shooter...very scenic course.
I shoot mostly because it is so much fun, but there is a side benefit of definite improvement.

There are many that I shoot with that do not hunt, but shoot for the enjoyment of the game (skeet or sporting clays)

Other than hunting about the only shooting I do with a shotgun is training birds for my dogs. Cats wiped me out of training birds a couple years ago and working on getting them back. Had a guy I trained a dog for was supposed to be one of the top skeet and trap shooter's in the state years ago. Couldn't hit a game bird to save hmself!

Several years back i shot in a sporting clays league during mid to late summer. That fall was the best I've ever shot at waterfowl and upland birds. Now, i rarely shoot prior to dove and early duck season and do all right. If i miss a few birds it is almost always due to not having my cheek down on the stock. I then practice a few times snapping the gun up at a predetermined target focusing on keeping my cheek down on the stock. This definitely helps me dial back in.

Back