shotgun for quail

kiwi hunta

In my secret little valley there's quite a population of quail establised,they are only little suckers whats a good calibre for them 410 or 20,28 gauge? I've got a semi auto 12g but its a heavy slow sucker to throw around whats your guys call.

whitedeer

Kiwi.....My favorite for quail is 28 gauge. Quick to mount, easy to point, and shoots as sweet as a 16 yr. old virgin ( if you can find one now adays ) Anyway, I have a double barrel side by side which I dearly love to shoot and also a coupl of pumps. I find I can get on the second or third shot a lot easier with the pump. If you have large coveys, the pump is the way to go.....but for pure shooting pleasure you can't beat the double. Mine is a side by side but I have also shot the over/under which is real nice also. :cool:

AZHUNTERR

i use a 12 ga pump 30" full choke on quil here a lot of times they start flying before you get close to them

Calif. Hunter

When I had my GSP, I used a 20 guage. She was great - she'd circle out ahead and push the birds back to me. They'd hold between us for a beautiful point, then all hell would bust loose. Then we could track down the singles and small groups.

Without a dog, on these mountain quail, chukar and even valley quail after they've been hunted a bit - I use a 12 ga, mod choke.

kiwi hunta

righto tell wiffee need new gun coool these fellas are very quiet my kerry blue terrier points them they just walk away ahead me 10 to 15 feet I spose I could head shoot i'm with 22 shorts :D

tnctcb

i use a 12 guage for quail mainly because i just love to shoot that gun but my son uses a 20 and it works great.if we get into a big covey he can get off a shot even when they get further away.we dont have a dog so usually when they get up it takes a little longer to get a shot off.I would think with a dog a .410 would be a blast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjentringer