Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Shot placement?

Saint Gunner

I'm a headshot fan on hogs, I've had to many run to far on lung shots, I have dozens of instances of tracking 200+ yards on hogs with holes in their lungs. I shoot with a .270 and 130gr speers or 168gr Sierra in a .308 most of the time. I shot a bunch with slugs and that seems to be a real stomper on em. I shot over dogs for a few years and used a .357 with 180gr hornady bullets. The smallest gun I ever used to bag a free running hog was a .222.

So where do you folks like to shoot em?

------------------
For those of you who know how I am...

ouch2.gif

LIVE FREE OR DIE TRYING,
Steve Moody

"Stand Tall or Stand Alone."

"When the last of the
brave and free refuse to
surrender, I intend to be among them"

"Freedom is not a concept, Freedom is a way of life. Those who appreciate it practice it, those that don't legislate it."

All of the above non-conformist quotes brought to you by Steve Moody

I stick with the head shots because of the dogs Steve. I use a .44 mag SA. Had to try the 45/70 Wed. and I am impressed. The 300gr. Hornady is not for large hogs but it did kill this sow but after finding the bullet from the chest cavity I would not use it again.

------------------
Don Turnipseed

Steve, any hog I shoot I'm planning on eating so head shots are my preference. I have shot many a hog with my .22-250 in the head. The only time I will take a body shot is if he's going on the wall.

------------------

Hogs around here are vermin #1, if 20 coyotes where dragging a calf down and one lone boar was walking 50yds behind em, the rancher would shoot the hog first. It is unreal the damage they inflict on the land, crops, and water supplies. I've seen em so thick in places the only option left is to shoot and leave em lay. Nobody has freezer space left. With dogs people often kill 15 or 20 in a night, with a rifle in the right place you can bag 7 or 8 in an afternoon. My personal best is 7 with slugs in about 20 seconds under a feeder.

I'd be curious to see the auto damage reports around here hog vs. deer. I do alot of work in Wilson County which is supposed to have the highest concentration of hogs in the State. I saw 13 hogs hit by one chevy suburban in about a 50yd stretch.

------------------
For those of you who know how I am...

ouch2.gif

LIVE FREE OR DIE TRYING,
Steve Moody

"Stand Tall or Stand Alone."

"When the last of the
brave and free refuse to
surrender, I intend to be among them"

"Freedom is not a concept, Freedom is a way of life. Those who appreciate it practice it, those that don't legislate it."

All of the above non-conformist quotes brought to you by Steve Moody

Saint Gunner,

Can we come hunt with you? That's a lot of hogs.

I do lung shots mostly, its a bigger target, I use 150 grain Hornady light magnums with the 30-06. I've used 000 buck on some big ones at night too.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 01-29-2001).]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back