MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Shooting

I prefer barnes bullets, especially if you are looking for speed. I would go with the 130 or 150 ttsx for the 308, I shoot the 165 out of my 300 win mag. The new IMR enduron powders are very good as well as the hodgdon extreme powders. I would try varget first, it is the recommended powder for the 150. I prefer federal match primers over cci, especially since a test done by another member on here on primers comparing patterns with different primers.

I shoot a 308 and use 165gr.boatails,Hogdon Powder and Federal Match primers.
Great setup for Elk,Deer and Antelope.Although I don't usually hunt out to 700yds. 🔥

I have several pet loads for .308, I ALWAYS cringe when people lead off with talking about shooting game at 700yds. Or within 700yds, or whatever.

So anyway, got that out of my system, remember that you should work up to anything specific someone recommends. What my .308 likes might be awful in yours. Mines a T3X with a 22.4 inch barrel. My favorite load is a 165grn Federal Trophy Bonded Tip over 43.3 grains of H4895. Winchester brass and Fed 210M primer. This load averages about 2735 fps.

Another couple loads that shoot well in my gun are 43.5 grains of H4895 pushing a 165gn Nosler Accubond. This one is also pushing an MV of about 2750 fps. Also 46 grains of Varget under the same bullet is pretty good too.

I always use Winchester brass and seem to find Fed 210M to be the most consistent primer in my .308. I got my faves but can pretty much make amy bullet group well with Varget or H4895. A lot of people have had good luck with RL15, but I've never tried it.

As Brian so adequently pointed out, your rifle is not our rifle.
Hence i absolutely will NOT put out my load data on public forum.

It's not that i don't want to help someone.
It's the legal issues that could possibly insue.

But if i were to have a short barrel 308, shooting to 700 yards...
I'd probably try something like the 150gr Nosler E-Tip over Varget/RL15/Tac.
You'll find data for those in the Nosler Reloading Manual.

You do have a manual, right?!

i have a 308 but now that im stretching things i also own a 300wsm for that reason,,my 165 grainers in the 308 were doing just over 2700 but now im over the 3k with standard ammo in the wsm,,its essentially a 200 yrd better firearm

The .308 is a broadsword, 3 or 400 yards-ish, which is actually a really good, reasonable distance for mountain hunting. But to put a big heavy bullet out there moving fast, you'll certainly do better with a magnum.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back