Caribou Gear

Shooting with contacts

Bigjay73

Soi lost my $600 prescription glasses somewhere in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison on Sunday. I only mention the specifics to paint a picture of how horrible a trip into the canyon can be, enough that I'd leave $600 laying on a trail which is a big chunk of change to this guy. Anywho, I made the switch to contacts today and am wondering if I can expect any change to seeing open sights while shooting? I've found shooting to be quite difficult since I've started wearing glasses, wondering if having lenses that move with my eyeballs will make things easier..

Contacts are great for shooting until they arent. The first time I went to Wyoming I went through a couple pairs because the wind was murdering them. I'd still say they're way better than glasses but they also have their own challenges.

Soi lost my $600 prescription glasses somewhere in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison on Sunday. I only mention the specifics to paint a picture of how horrible a trip into the canyon can be, enough that I'd leave $600 laying on a trail which is a big chunk of change to this guy. Anywho, I made the switch to contacts today and am wondering if I can expect any change to seeing open sights while shooting? I've found shooting to be quite difficult since I've started wearing glasses, wondering if having lenses that move with my eyeballs will make things easier..
SOB Gully?

I do not notice any difference between glasses or contacts when shooting a rifle.

There is a difference when shooting a bow. With contacts the pins are clear and aligned properly. With glasses the pins are slightly blurry and the different colors become staggered, (the red pins are slightly left of the green pins). It is enough of a difference to move my arrows several inches for each yardage that uses the red pins. Whenever I can, I always wear contacts to practice with my bow and I always where contacts when hunting with a bow.

Contact experience varies person… hard/soft, daily/monthly.

My eyes tolerate them pretty well so I can go on a backpack hunt, leave them in for the whole trip and basically forget I have them in, my sister did not have the same experience and got lasik.

I also started wearing them in middle school 🤷‍♂️.

I switch between glasses and contacts. I have done an 11 day Sheep Hunt with contacts and they are definitely better for shooting but as a few have mentioned - there are times where they are murder on your eyes. Winds can be rough - I try not to wear them driving out to the hunt area and put them on in the field so they stay fresh.

If you are as blind as me the problem is lack of oxygen and eyes drying out - if you are luckier then me that isn't as big of a concern.

I'm hoping in 2022 or 2023 to get Lasik or RPK and eliminate my contacts for a good while!

Howdy. Well I've had the need to wear prescriptive lenses since the 3rd grade. I'm 64 yo. Glasses, then hard contacts, then the newer extended wear. Prescriptive glasses are my backup to the contacts even tho I carry extra unopened contacts. I like the contacts to hunt in rather than the glasses. Yes they get crap on them once in a while....fuzz or some trash. But, I carry reading glasses with me for closeup fine print stuff, etc. I'm TA getting some eye laser work on them during this next off season. I was TA how much weight I would save having the laser work done. Just think, I could do away with this list:
prescriptive glasses, hard glasses case, 2(1- Lt & 1- Rt) backup contacts in package, sm bottle of contact solution, readers, 2 clip-on sun shades(light & dark) for the prescriptive glasses
And, I won't have any trash getting on the contact lenses causing me issues!
:cool:

I'm nearsighted and wear contacts just about every day. My eyes tolerate them well. My correction for nearsightedness pretty much wrecks my close vision when the contacts are in. Shooting through a scope is fine. Binos and spotters are great. Front sight on a muzzleloader, even the bright fiber ones, is a semi-fuzzy dot when my contacts in. Need readers to use pretty much anything on my phone, which is another pita. I hate wearing glasses enough that I deal with the disadvantages of the contacts, but there are disadvantages.

Contacts are great for shooting until they arent. The first time I went to Wyoming I went through a couple pairs because the wind was murdering them. I'd still say they're way better than glasses but they also have their own challenges.
Good to know, i didn't consider that

I used to ware glasses and now ware contacts. I would say I like contacts more while hunting. I have daily ones that depending on the conditions I leave in for 2-3 days while on backpack hunts. I also shoot open sites on my muzzleloader, but I'm nearsighted so seeing the front post is not an issue for me. The most difficult part of contacts for me is not rubbing my eyes especially in the wind and dry conditions. Also, washing your hands before changing them out is a must.

For Contacts - my biggest issue is driving in cold temps with the air on. I keep safety glasses in my rig because of that. Also 4 wheeling and Snow machining same thing - bring a cover just in case.

I used to ware glasses and now ware contacts. I would say I like contacts more while hunting. I have daily ones that depending on the conditions I leave in for 2-3 days while on backpack hunts. I also shoot open sites on my muzzleloader, but I'm nearsighted so seeing the front post is not an issue for me. The most difficult part of contacts for me is not rubbing my eyes especially in the wind and dry conditions. Also, washing your hands before changing them out is a must.
Just shot my bow, much more enjoyable with contacts. I'm hoping open sights on my muzzleloader goes as well.

I shoot with both, bow rifle and shotgun, no difference. The only 2 issues I have with contacts is I then need readers for anything up close, like punching a tag. Those little month and day cutouts are basically invisible to my eyes in contacts

I also have astigmatism which means my contacts are weighted so they spin to the right position. If not the world gets blurry. This means I can't let them get dry, so wind is fun. Just use drops a bunch and all is good

Way better for glassing, but glasses also protect you from branches is the dark

Last edited:
I wear glasses everyday and have a stockpile of contacts that I basically just use for shooting, skiing and tinder dates.
They’re still a pita.
Definitely hoping to be able to invest in lasik someday.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back