Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Shooting sticks?

Much2hunt

I enjoy watching good hunting shows as much as the next guy. But, lately it appears that most cannot go on a hunt with out someone hauling a pack full of huge shooting sticks. I watched a well known hunter last night take an animal off a tripod with a bracket for the forearm and the butt stock, he basically pulled the trigger. Now I am for making as clean a kill as possible and maybe I am too old fashioned, but I consider marksmanship a very important part of the hunting experience. For me, when planning a stalk it has to include the ability to actually take the shot,wether it be standing, prone or using a tree, rock or other rest provided by mother nature. I have had to pass up the shot at times, because of distance with no rest, tall brush etc. Some might ask what’s the difference with using a tripod vs. a natural rest. Are we losing an important skill here?

I kind of look at it as an honest assessment of your abilities.

Can I make an offhand shot at a squirrel from 20 yards with my .22? Yep.

Can I make a good shot at big game from 100 yards or more without a solid rest? nope.

If I need a good rest to make an accurate shot, I'm going to bring one along more often than not. I feel I owe it both to myself and the game I am pursuing.

As far as the TV show goes, though, I would guess that the manufacturer of that rest is a sponsor and they used it for some product placement.

Some parallels to fishing here: Do we need a Ranger boat, depthfinders with side imaging, GPS, marine radios, the best graphite rods, line, lures, etc. just to catch a walleye? Nope, but we keep buying anything that makes the job more efficient. I saw those rests on the market also, and kinda felt the same way, as I have used my pack or literally 2 treelimbs tied together with an old boot lace for years. As I want my wife and daughters to shoot more accurately when we finally get that shot opportunity I am considering such a rest. I have talked to some people that love them and another that said it took too long to set up. My guess is I will just keep using my pack and maple sticks though.

I see what you are getting at. I agree that marksmanship is part of the fun and experience.

But seeing as how the hunt is being televised, they are probably just trying to stack the odds in their favor as much as possible towards making a clean kill.

I learned first hand how much shooting sticks suck, they screwed me on a 6x6. I bought a Winchester shooting stick from Wally World and took it with me on my Elk hunt. My brother and I were hiking along a wash and I saw a big brown butt moving though the brush. I ran around the Junipers and the big bull and me were face to face about 50 yards apart. It was kind enough not to run as I set up on my stick. I waited for him to turn, and when he did my stick started slipping lower and lower causing me to lose my shot. By the time I leaned the stick on my chest and wrapped the sling around my arm I did not have an ethical shot as he trotted away.
Later that day my Dad chewed me out and told me not to use the stick anymore. On the last day of the hunt we got on some bulls. I wrapped the sling around my wrist and squeezed the trigger and took my little raghorn.
Maybe it was my fault for buying my stick from Wal-Mart and not getting a quality one, but I know I wont be using one ever again.

I don't think using rests we bring with us is causing us to lose any skills. I'll use whatever I have at my disposal, and sometimes that is a pair of shooting sticks, to make the shot as good as possible. Just another/different way. Besides, shooting sticks have been around for hunting a LONG time as it didn't take long for hunters to realize that in the field rests weren't always where we need them and it's not too hard to take one with us.

Malbo- Not to be too harsh, but your story sounds like a carpenter blaming his tools... ;)

Malbo- Not to be too harsh, but your story sounds like a carpenter blaming his tools... ;)

Ha, I know I know . I did solve the problem by taping it up so it wouldn't slide just in case I had to use it again. But I had to make my Dad happy by not using the stick.:D

What will be the next must have? I've used sticks they are okay. OTOH I see gear showing up all the time that seems designed to move more $ rather than really improve our experiences. For example have you noticed all the fishing guys wearing gloves and neck gaiters when it's 90 out? I have had skin cancer so I know that arguement but why no big hat if that's the rationale? Buyer beware!

I never go in the woods without my homemade shooting sticks. The come in handy navigating steep terrain and to prop your rifle up on when resting and/or glassing. They have afforded me the opportunity to make shots I otherwise would not. That said my favorite shooting position is prone and I use it if at all possible, but I like my sticks as well.

OK, i appreciate these are totally unsuitable for hauling up a mountain in Montana but they are the business for where i live, there were a revelation when i used them for the first time, they are just as steady as shooting of a bi-pod.
When my buddy said he was shooting deer off sticks at 200 yards i thought he was talking out of his arse, but he wasn't, they are perfect.
The cost to make them, mainly the 4 plastic covered metal garden poles, total cost about $15.

Cheers
Richard

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back