Shooting from the seated position using field aids

I think I have arrived at what will work for me. Same rifle antelope, deer, elk.

Before this I always carried a bipod, it works great as treking pole while walking, and when needed, it's set for the height I need sitting, I can quickly drop down seated and shoot. Worked great.

this year I've added a gun mounted bipod. This was to "solve" a crawling/stalking issue, mostly for antelope (may remove it for elk). This lets me crawl/stalk without having to scoot my rifle foward in the dirt with one hand while doing the same with my pack in the other hand. Made closing that last bit hard, while my wife just scooted her bipod rifle forward and crawled. It made a good difference this year on my antelope, as I had to crawl around/through sage to get an opening for hte shot, would have been much harder without the bipod

so now, it's an easy sitting or prone shot

This is something I need to work on. I always try to set myself up for success by being somewhere I can go prone which I feel very confident in out to distances most here would call unethical. This has worked very well for me........so far.

I need to work on the seated position shots for sure.

I can't count how many animals I have killed using my spotting scope as a rest. When out glassing many times animals walk into range and my spotting scope is already there and makes a very stable tripod rest. My pack is always close by for a rest. I have used my binoculars as a bipod by setting them lens down (in the harness case) and resting my gun on them from a prone position. The other method I use a lot is my tracking poles. Hook one of the straps around the other pole for support and it is a very stable bipod. I practice all of these methods. I leave the Harris bipod at home.

Not an article, but my two cents. I keep a rubber gear tie on one trekking pole, then tie them together if I'm sitting, waiting, or have time for a shot. If you don't have much time, you can just hold and squeeze them together, but I've found it not quite as stable. I do need to find the sweet spot for length each time, usually about half extended. It just takes a while to make that a habit rather than shrinking them all the way down when I don't need them. I normally run an eberlestock so usually either my sticks or my rifle are inside my scabbard. Here's my Frankenrifle posing with my REI carbon poles.
G0Vv3wGJEurmA1QB4W6lSDkQIifedDj_DeTYuYpM2T_-qUKe2zChPnCuRjI-99owt-Gu4fpmP44Ea13BNeSFWSBjMhuzLiBItjtRovogMA12ZmZpufi7DJTjNf9EZNWThd1Xp9XUqzeEJFKsRe9TkGlemdkp_8eVyDCWDUjqLSxOgADagVrpcionCoROEmk-z-QlZvC64m5YLg7aFEWtru-g9UcIRVCbPgHhA63nIDegPEjOTW4L9DGGylu8igZVwsd9OgTNFJlvAeDI4TRenv_XPbRHbyC2PRQz8dkxQbHb2zznbvZUZuqxDQMlMoXOO1CtcXl94NMQone91Q7EGpu7mqiz1ewtEathGt0zxPdlPN3z59syIon-g-vFKKFd-I7VuVGaYZnQu7_k7zphL8CN88SvJsN7pmod7KHc73_NpLyohB8OtSPeDcSGVBz3q_iJr3jy2dENbPNRehLXPd7_tpvr9Qu3-Rnscdligpj9bkNWQOZ_LNITieLDDBo6o8q8b8rPHExMGTWmpJGjnEMS0l2VVToepCzM0wPrx6Ks0UoUQz5IkcQ10Pgmvnf8lxR9ocSeaDWdltcz7ORuxtlXSyml-2owNCwXLEyYhGD9ZM7OG8xfyI76nK92C4beGirfn_zOz6kvAeUVbgRGJ-xISHZxABbMe2YTlcggkUXRYQWMe8Mzz4c1fEtZx-JU_m1-MBLoga7jHXnAcN2ct2J5cA=w2736-h1330-no

Last edited:
I have found that even a pack on the ground or on a clump of rabbit brush is too low here at times. Prone is not always an option.
I also have found my hiking poles can shift at the wrong time when used as a bipod...

Shot off my spotter & binos several times,on the tripod.

Thanks fellas. Appreciate all the feedback. Please post pictures of your seated setup too if you could.

Quite a few have said rifle on top of pack yoke while seated, are those guys doing anything to support the rear of the gun?

Thx

One of the standard rules for using the sitting positiin to was never put the point of your elbow diretly on the top of your knees. It was to prone to rolling around and not be stable.

The shooter in th video should bend over more and put the flat of his arm above the elbow against the flat of his leg below the knee.

It is so much more stable but the shooter needs lose back muscles and cannot have big belly like the fellow in the video.

Truth be tol, usng the Whelen sling properly with it's isometric tension is equal to or even better than the shooting sticks for the sitting postion.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back