Caribou Gear

Shooting from the seated position using field aids

Arch Stanton

I am looking for articles that have information on shooting in the seated position using tri-pods, walking sticks, and other aids

Do you guys have an good info on ths?

Thanks!

AR

Best advice is to go out and practice with the gear you have and see what works best for you and test various options.
From a seated position I’ve found using my pack under the rear of the rifle and a tall bipod/sticks/tripod up front works best for me. Many people rest their elbow on the rear knee also.
If you choose to use a tripod you can attach a rail/plate to the forend of your rifle and use your tripod head to get an extremely solid rest.

I use a Big-pod tri-pod. It collapses small enough to use easily in a sitting position.

I have used a monopod but didn’t care for it at all.

I’ve shot a few deer off of the Bog-pod now. It works great in blinds as well.

The old Magpul precision rifle dvd went through seated shooting at distance some. I think the Paul Howe precision hunter dvd covers some of that too. I’m pretty sure my old Army snipers manual covered it some to a certain degree.

Personally I just shoot off my pack with my elbows resting on my inner thigh/knee area. Or I shoot off my tripod; I made a rifle rest adapter for it so I can switch between optics or rifle.

Main thing is to practice, practice and then practice some more. Know your holds and your dials.

Best advice is to go out and practice with the gear you have and see what works best for you and test various options.
From a seated position I’ve found using my pack under the rear of the rifle and a tall bipod/sticks/tripod up front works best for me. Many people rest their elbow on the rear knee also.
If you choose to use a tripod you can attach a rail/plate to the forend of your rifle and use your tripod head to get an extremely solid rest.
Good advice here. The other thing that really helps me to get more steady is if you can find a tree, rock or anything similar to get your rear or back up against.

Shooting sticks if I have to, try to use the pack if at all possible.

My preference is the have my left leg largely pointing to the target with knee partially bent, right leg tucked in as if sitting “Indian style” with rifle forearm resting on mystery ranch pack top yoke placed between the legs. It may not be official form, but I have found it works for me. You just need to get to the range, away from the bench, and practice enough to find what works for you.

Last edited:
Articles, no.
But the other year i had a long shot at some white tail does a little over 400 yards.
I set up my foldable stool, put my backpack on it, plopped my butt on the ground.
Made a perfect impromptu bench.

Before I had a proper framed pack I practiced sitting and using the sling as per Jack O'Connors directions in his books. Spent a summer walking the hay field in Mid Ohio shooting ground hogs with my .270 and got really good at sitting quick, wrapping in the sling, settle and squeeze.

That fall I jumped a group of elk while tracking in the snow, I caught movement below me, and before I knew it I was sitting, slung, safety off, and a cow was looking at me while quartering away. 150 yards, boom, dead cow elk. It was sort of automatic.

Now I do as others have said. I lean into my MR pack for a really nice stable field bench... haha

I would offer that you spend some time time learning the fundamentals with out aids such as a bog pod. Marine corps manual and the Boy Scout merit badge manuals offer explanations. Get comfortable with it then add in some mechanical support. Dry fire practice is your friend.

The bipod which I use is collapsible for sitting shooting support, has a top cup rifle support, and folds together nicely for hiking support as walking stick.

I have been using a tripod to glass & shoot off of for years now. I used to just carry shooting sticks.
Mostly I use a super lightweight Manfrotto with a Y yoke on the top.
Practicing in various positions is a must. I do this often just glassing. That way I pretty much know where the height and all is before I spend too much time dicking around with game in sight. Or give them a chance to spot me while I dick around with adjustments.

Not really. Can't practice some shots. mtmuley
I have to agree. Shooting at the range from a flat surface at a target that's horizontal and level doesn't help a lot when hunting rough country. Try sitting down for a shot from the side of a coulee or at an animal straight downhill. Whole different ballgame.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back