Caribou Gear

Shooting for a WY General Rifle Elk Tag with 1 point

Really?

Have you looked at the drawing odds in the last 10 years? Lots of cow tags that were going unsold in the past, are all gone in the leftover draw.
Boy, ain't that the truth... I hunted the same antelope unit for years buying only leftover tags and normally had several tags. Those days are long gone in most units
Great memories though!

Really?

Have you looked at the drawing odds in the last 10 years? Lots of cow tags that were going unsold in the past, are all gone in the leftover draw.
Yes, I think it makes sense for some folks to do cow hunts for a couple of years while accumulating points for a bull tag. This way you can learn the area and animal patterns before you get the bull tag.

Has nothing to do with the leftover draw. Not sure where you came up with that but you are right that there are not as many leftovers as there used to be. I would not rely on the leftover draw in this situation as that's a marginal strategy at best and varies greatly.

Drawing a first or second choice cow tag for 2-3 years and then getting a general tag for the same area is a good way to get into elk hunting for this group IMO. Those cow tags have long seasons and offer a NR lots of flexibility. Many strategies to get there depending on the unit. Have most guys do general as first choice and cow as second choice with one person doing cow as first choice to guarantee elk hunting every year while others build points would be one way.

As always you are entitled to your opinion.

Last edited:
Yes, I think it makes sense for some folks to do cow hunts for a couple of years while accumulating points for a bull tag. This way you can learn the area and animal patterns before you get the bull tag.

Has nothing to do with the leftover draw. Not sure where you came up with that but you are right that there are not as many leftovers as there used to be. I would not rely on the leftover draw in this situation as that's a marginal strategy at best and varies greatly.

Drawing a first or second choice cow tag for 2-3 years and then getting a general tag for the same area is a good way to get into elk hunting for this group IMO. Those cow tags have long seasons and offer a NR lots of flexibility. Many strategies to get there depending on the unit. Have most guys do general as first choice and cow as second choice with one person doing cow as first choice to guarantee elk hunting every year while others build points would be one way.

As always you are entitled to your opinion.
I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Have you looked at the draw odds lately in the general tag areas that also offer cow/calf tags? As an example, I don't think there's even close to 50% odds of drawing a type 6 cow/calf in the madres or snowies anymore.

Pretty tough to come hunt a cow/calf tag when you don't draw a tag.

Secondly, it makes about zero sense to hunt cows in general areas for a couple reasons.

1. Hunting cows and hunting bulls during the rifle season are 2 different things. In particular if you're hunting for mature bulls in the general units. Not quite like hunting 2 different species, but close.

2. People with a tag in their pocket tend to want to fill it more than look for bulls for future potential hunts.

The place where it WOULD make sense to hunt a type 6 is during archery season and assuming a person wanted to come back to bowhunt the same area, that does make sense.

Hunting late for cows, a person learns where to hunt late cows, but that doesn't do much to improve your odds of coming back to hunt for bulls earlier in the year.

At least in my limited experience hunting elk.

Reactions: shb
I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Have you looked at the draw odds lately in the general tag areas that also offer cow/calf tags?

Pretty tough to come hunt a cow/calf tag when you don't draw a tag.

Secondly, it makes about zero sense to hunt cows in general areas for a couple reasons.

1. Hunting cows and hunting bulls during the rifle season are 2 different things. In particular if you're hunting for mature bulls in the general units. Not quite like hunting 2 different species, but close.

2. People with a tag in their pocket tend to want to fill it more than look for bulls for future potential hunts.

The place where it WOULD make sense to hunt a type 6 is during archery season and assuming a person wanted to come back to bowhunt the same area, that does make sense.

Hunting late for cows, a person learns where to hunt late cows, but that doesn't do much to improve your odds of coming back to hunt for bulls earlier in the year.

At least in my limited experience hunting elk.
As always Buzz you are entitled to your opinion. LOL

Yes, and the best hunting for bulls isnt even open to NR's....at least without a guide.

In fairness, that may have changed with the fires last year.
True true. Crazy how NR have a better chance drawing a type 6 there than residents. Which as I type this I realize why, haha.

I think there is some benefit to hunting cow tags in general units just from the chance to learn about access and get a feel for the terrain, hunter pressure, etc. and can help build confidence for those who haven't killed many elk. It is different than hunting bulls but if you're hunting cows anyways why not try to do it in an area you might hunt bulls in later.

I guess the success rate may be lower for cow tags in general units compared to LQ units so I suppose that's one drawback.

Ok, show me where you have a 50% chance of drawing a type 6 in the madres or snowies...

Also, where are the second choice type 6 cow/calf tags good for general units?
Buzz, you are trying so hard its' hilarious. You are just doing your usual internet right fighter act that you have been doing for years, some things never change. You are entitled to your opinion, just like me.

You will need to buzz off and find someone else as I stopped arguing with morons on the internet a long time ago.

LOL

in 2022. Father, wife, and I will be applying in '22 with a single PP for the WY general rifle elk tag. According to the GoHunt insider, the draw odds are ~14% for 1 point for non-residents. It would be awesome if one of us draws that tag.

Is it unlikely one of us draws that tag?
Good luck. I hunted Colorado this season. It was my first Western game hunt. I'm hooked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back