Shipping firearms

Just sent a shotgun from CA to an out of state gunsmith for repairs. UPS is the best shipment option if you want to follow the rules. You must ship to an FFL. You have to ship from a central hub, not a UPS store. UPS will need the FFL number in order to ship. They have the requirements on their website. FedEx won’t ship firearms.

The FFL had no issue shipping the gun back to me, since I was already the registered owner and there was no ownership transfer involved.

I was always told ship it to yourself at the other address. This seems to make sense if ownership is not going to change hands. It worked for me sending a gun interstate. Up here it's not a problem. As long as both shipper and receiver have federal possession license they are good to go.

Anyone receiving a firearm must have an FFL. If you mail a rifle you own into a gunsmith for work he can mail it directly back to you when work is completed.
Best bet is your buddy brings you the rifle whenever he comes to visit.

I was always told ship it to yourself at the other address. This seems to make sense if ownership is not going to change hands. It worked for me sending a gun interstate. Up here it's not a problem. As long as both shipper and receiver have federal possession license they are good to go.

Shipping to yourself only works if you in fact actually receive on the other end. Firearms require a signature and photo ID (if they actually enforce it) on the other end. If the driver plays by the “real rules” you’d be screwed.

Disclaimer-This is at least second hand info from our UPS store here.

Its legal for a private citizen to ship a long gun via USPS but has to be received by a FFL holder. UPS is also an option but costs a bit more, IIRC. Handguns can only be shipped UPS. I've sold a few rifles and used USPS every time at an average cost of $45.
He should be able to box up the rifle and send to a FFL near you and when you're done, you can send it back to an FFL near him. Each may charge you a couple bucks for the transaction. Best course of action would be talk to your local shop to verify this as Cali adds a degree of difficulty to everything. Even better would be for you guys to meet up in Vegas for the hand off.

Perfectly legal to ship to yourself in another state, I've done it multiple times. There is no date required for picking up said firearm.

The reason for doing FFL to FFL is that 2 private parties are involved. A background check on the receiving end both directions would have to be done as well. It doesn't matter who owns the firearm, it's who has possession of the firearm.

Perfectly legal to ship to yourself in another state, I've done it multiple times. There is no date required for picking up said firearm.

Yeah, I thought so. Thanks.

If he is shipping it to you for repairs and services and you are receiving compensation, then technically, you have to have the appropriate FFL.

He can ship it to himself via you “in care of…” if he’s coming up to go target shooting. See above links.

0DC796FE-5591-4C2A-B32C-F6E79BC12E71.jpeg

He can send it via USPS and is not allowed to declare it as a firearm, nor can they ask him if it is one.

Or he can just send you a box of machine parts.

You didn't hear this from me but... I know the owner of two UPS stores. I know the previous owner of one of those stores. Two of my daughters worked at one of those stores. One of my daughters provides bookkeeping services for those stores. My oldest daughter's mother-in-law works at one of those stores as does another friend of mine. I have it on good authority that people ship all kinds of stuff they aint supposed to ship all the time. A lot of that stuff could land them in jail for a very long time. They just say it is something totally different than what it is and insure it accordingly. The shippers aren't going to call them a liar, even when they know they are, and they just send the package on its way. Remember, you didn't hear this from me and everyone at the UPS store will tell you they don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
My step brothers second cousin that was married to my wife’s third nephew said this would be a great idea as long as his dogs pups didn’t tell it to the goats out in the pasture. Not the place for firearm transfer advice. Check with your local FFL

If the gun is 50 years old, then both of you just need to get your C&R FFL and just be done with it.

^^^ good point, the type 003 FFL is only like $10-$15 a year if I remember right. Would be a cheap fix if the rifle is on that list. Question though, would that limit the type of modifications that @Redmt could make?

^^^ good point, the type 003 FFL is only like $10-$15 a year if I remember right. Would be a cheap fix if the rifle is on that list. Question though, would that limit the type of modifications that @Redmt could make?
Gun has to be in its original configuration. Type 03 cannot be used for commercial purposes.

Within the laws referred here...

5. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?

Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be - 5 - addressed to the owner of the firearm “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner of the firearm must not open the package or take possession of the firearm. The out-of-State resident is encouraged to place the package in a safe and secure location until the owner of the firearm is available to take physical possession.

In order for you to work on his rifle, it has to go through an FFL for shipping. That is federal law and playing around could get you a lifetime firearm ban. Not worth it IMO. Hand-to-hand transfer would be ok in AZ. CA is the monkey wrench in that equation. Giving a firearm (even their own firearm) back to a person might violate CA state law. Again, lifetime firearm ban. CA is very strict with firearm laws and transfers.

For what it’s worth, my advice as a 25 year law enforcement veteran, ship through FFL. You have posted this on a public forum. Shipping a firearm as “parts” is a stupid idea. Trying to circumvent federal law, especially with firearms into/out of CA is a very bad idea.

Last edited:
Back