PEAX Equipment

Shipping firearms

Redmt

I know this has got to have been discussed before but a search didn't find it.
My buddy in AZ wants to send me his rifle to tweek it some and develop him a decent load. Does anyone have the rules for sending rifles back and forth from AZ to CA?

Someone may chime in with better info, but don't you still have to send it via FFL dealers on both side?

That’s a really good question since you aren’t selling the firearm and you are shipping the firearm to Cal. Who lives in California?

That’s a really good question since you aren’t selling the firearm and you are shipping the firearm to Cal. Who lives in California?
A call to the highway patrol might yield the best answer. If it was any other state…..

Interstate shipping of firearms needs at least an FFL to receive the rifle. I have no idea about shipping to CA but you may need an AZ FFL to ship to an FFL in CA
I don't know which is why I posted the question. My simple mind says that the rifle isn't changing hands just temporary change of possession. I don't see the issue of me working on it but the legality (or not) of how it gets here. My thoughts were that he could ship it to himself at my address in care of me.

The part that doesn't make sense to me is the involvement of the FFL as it's not changing ownership. If he sends to an FFL it doesn't seem that they are just going to hand it over.

Hey @Redmt just a heads up, friend was trying to do this as well (but NV to Cali) and could not find an FFL anywhere near his bud on the receiving end that would take a direct shipment. They were all “ FFL to FFL, no problem” but “Individual to FFL” they wouldn’t do it. Wasn’t illegal, they just didn’t want the hassle evidently 🤷🏻‍♂️

The part that doesn't make sense to me is the involvement of the FFL as it's not changing ownership. If he sends to an FFL it doesn't seem that they are just going to hand it over.
An FFL transfer isn't always about sale...it's process of the FFL showing that they received it at their location and that it left their location. It is required for shipping across state lines regardless of state. CA makes it worse with their potential rules.

You need to talk to a local shop to get the legalities and not use internet forums for this answer.

Once California is involved, you would be better to forget it. You won’t find many dealers that will jump through the hoops it takes to deal with California laws.

Your buddy needs to learn how to reload or buy ammunition and shoot it himself.

Good luck…

You didn't hear this from me but... I know the owner of two UPS stores. I know the previous owner of one of those stores. Two of my daughters worked at one of those stores. One of my daughters provides bookkeeping services for those stores. My oldest daughter's mother-in-law works at one of those stores as does another friend of mine. I have it on good authority that people ship all kinds of stuff they aint supposed to ship all the time. A lot of that stuff could land them in jail for a very long time. They just say it is something totally different than what it is and insure it accordingly. The shippers aren't going to call them a liar, even when they know they are, and they just send the package on its way. Remember, you didn't hear this from me and everyone at the UPS store will tell you they don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

You didn't hear this from me but... I know the owner of two UPS stores. I know the previous owner of one of those stores. Two of my daughters worked at one of those stores. One of my daughters provides bookkeeping services for those stores. My oldest daughter's mother-in-law works at one of those stores as does another friend of mine. I have it on good authority that people ship all kinds of stuff they aint supposed to ship all the time. A lot of that stuff could land them in jail for a very long time. They just say it is something totally different than what it is and insure it accordingly. The shippers aren't going to call them a liar, even when they know they are, and they just send the package on its way. Remember, you didn't hear this from me and everyone at the UPS store will tell you they don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
I think he's also into astronomy. I wonder if he would loan me his telescope for a while,,,

By changing possession, ATF requires an FFL and a background check in order for the transfer to take place. Doesn’t matter if you’re trying to argue ownership isn’t changing.

Tell him to drive it to you.

Thanks for all the input and all the info. He has been my computer wizard forever, and I have done his gun work for almost as long. Unfortunately in this case he moved to AZ a few months ago to retire. I'll present what I have learned to him and he can decide whether or not he needs a new stock, trigger and a new load recipe.

By changing possession, ATF requires an FFL and a background check in order for the transfer to take place. Doesn’t matter if you’re trying to argue ownership isn’t changing.

Tell him to drive it to you.
Physical driving it up isn't out of the question. I'm doing a nose to tail restoration of his wife's high school daily driver. It's a 1970 Dodge Challenger. He could come and check on my progress!

I'm pretty sure gunsmiths put firearms in and out of the log books and that is temporary as well. I'm going to say it must be ffl to ffl especially considering the State of CA has a part in the transfer.

Back