Shipping firearms??

Chucknduck

So I am going to be inhareting some fire arms from my wife's grandfather. The guns are in Ohio and I need to get them to Montana. I was thinking of having them shipped to save me a drive. Can they be mailed to a residence or do I need to ship to a firearms dealer. Trying to figure out the easiest way to get them home

Ask around, you'll be surprised that different shops charge more or less. Ship them fed ex so you can track them also. It might be cheaper to drive out by the time you add up the shipping and FFL charges?

It's gonna be about a dozen firearms so shipping and ffl charges might get steep I'll do some checking.
Does it have to ship from a ffl also

I charge $25 per firearm for a transfer fee. That's probably about the going rate where you are also. Most FFl's will give you a break on that many firearms so ask about it. Shipping is going to be pretty significant also.

Make a crate and do them all at once. Contact a freight company and see what you can work out. Make a 'Lot' deal with a FFL holder. I shipped 100's of crated weapons, at a time, when we were re supplying reserve units after Desert Storm. Might save you Mucho Ka-Ching !

No, you don't need an FFL to ship the firearms, only to receive them.

It's legal for a person to ship firearms to himself, without using an FFL, so that might be something to consider.

No, you don't need an FFL to ship the firearms, only to receive them.

It's legal for a person to ship firearms to himself, without using an FFL, so that might be something to consider.

That depends on the state. Illinois requires guns being sent from an FFL holder. But, we're special... Something to double check anyway.

If I was inheriting a dozen firearms I would take a road trip and go get them. Also, there are different rules if any of them are hand guns as well.

I just had your same experience with inheriting several firearms. I shipped several hand guns and long guns from Missouri to Montana. I was able to do so without an FFL. The hand guns must be shipped overnight via UPS or FedEx (I used FedEx) and the long guns I shipped via UPS without any issue. I also shipped a large box of ammo (approximately 50lbs) via UPS.

Best of luck and be prepared to educate the shipping companies as I had several shipping company employees give me bad info while trying to ship the items.

Last edited:
With 12 guns,I would drive to get them myself. FFL transfer cost plus shipping cost would prohibit me from having them shipped. For my area of Michigan it cost about $30 transfer fee per gun plus the shipping on the last rifle I shipped was alittle over $30.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back