Shelter-in-place cooking

I completely forgot about bread! I've been baking naturally leavened bread once or twice a week for going on 14 years now. Guess it has become routine now so I didn't think about it. I have about 10 pounds of flour left and then it'll be a sad day in our house when we have to buy bread. Maybe by then the stores will have flour again. One can only hope.

Attachments

• IMG_20200402_145741.jpg
    IMG_20200402_145741.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 17
I completely forgot about bread! I've been baking naturally leavened bread once or twice a week for going on 14 years now. Guess it has become routine now so I didn't think about it. I have about 10 pounds of flour left and then it'll be a sad day in our house when we have to buy bread. Maybe by then the stores will have flour again. One can only hope.

That's awesome. I have a sourdough culture that is probably 4 years old or so. It's a little weak right now so my bread has had little baker's yeast help. But true rustic sourdoughs are my favorite.

I made old bay crab alfredo this morning... 2 jars of alfredo sauce with old bay to taste, 1lb of crab meat and a box of penne noodles.

View attachment 131682

Now I am cooking up a raccoon, I trapped him a few weeks ago. I had always though of trying one so I saved this one. I cut him into quarters and parboiled it for 15 minutes. Rinsed it off boiled another 15 minutes.
View attachment 131684

Chopped up onion, celery, peppers and mushrooms. Used a can of cream of mushroom soup and French onion soup with 2 cups of water. Now we are waiting 8 or 10 hours to see how it is.

View attachment 131685

Worst case I throw it over the bank like normal but I had to try it :D

How was the raccoon? I have never eaten one, but would like to try it.

As to my shelter in place cooking. Bread (sourdough), tortillas, biscuits, & homemade pasta are high on the list of things I am glad I can make from scratch. Miners lettuce & dandelions are making my salads as of late. And as to meat....turkey season cannot come soon enough.

IMG_2451.JPG
This is a miners lettuce dandelion salad with pickled radishes and smoked herring, all of which was either in my pantry, fridge, or garden when I needed it.

I've heard that

I've heard that as to the greasy factor, did you use a vinegar based marinade to cut the fat?

Ive never done it but some people will first boiled them with crab boiled prior to cooking. Gets some of the fat out and adds flavor.
My go to marinade for most meat included Italian dressing so there is vinigar but I don’t know if it helps with fat. The meat cooked in the photo was first seasoned then browned. No marinade. Once brown added stock and cooked into fork tender. Tasted like roast beef. But that coon wasn’t as fatty as some I get.

Ive never done it but some people will first boiled them with crab boiled prior to cooking. Gets some of the fat out and adds flavor.
My go to marinade for most meat included Italian dressing so there is vinigar but I don’t know if it helps with fat. The meat cooked in the photo was first seasoned then browned. No marinade. Once brown added stock and cooked into fork tender. Tasted like roast beef. But that coon wasn’t as fatty as some I get.

Mine was boiled for 15 minutes then rinsed and boiled 15 minutes again in clean water before going in the crock pot. The meat was good i’d say close to bear meat.

I used to make all my jerky on the smoker, then along came the dehydrator. Since time is not an issue these days, going back to the old days. I'll post some pics later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back