Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Shelter-in-place cooking

Made Hank Shaw’s Sardinian Hare Stew. Didn’t have any jackrabbits but I did have a cotton tail and a squirrel. I accidentally shredded the meat too much. Don’t let the pic fool you, the flavor was great. Went well with some freshly baked bread.

Attachments

• D371738B-4C34-4B93-98BC-6B8415BFC4FA.jpeg
    D371738B-4C34-4B93-98BC-6B8415BFC4FA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 7BC4E5A2-7733-46AD-AADE-F5B93018D6D0.jpeg
    7BC4E5A2-7733-46AD-AADE-F5B93018D6D0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
No pics this time but hash made from potatoes peppers onions and a leftover venison steak covered in nacho cheese sauce. Followed by a nap

If you give a pig a pancake...

picked up some fresh picked blackberries at the farmers market yesterday, which led me to craving blackberry cobbler. And what must go with blackberry cobbler? BBQ! And what goes with a peppered and smoked brisket over oak and hickory? Buffalo Trace!

First time smoking on my new Masterbuilt gravity feed charcoal/wood grill/smoker. On my own this week, so just got a small flat from my butcher, but it turned out OK. Just a tad on the dry side, but sort of expected that with the small cut.

F3471737-C803-4780-AFD4-4870A6DD245C.jpegB3E677B5-1D0B-4CFC-BA83-95980B2F0355.jpegD56FE38C-042A-43EF-9D4C-B25552FA19E1.jpeg13423863-22B2-448A-BD39-E77271DBBEFF.jpeg

Tried to corn a venison roast last week. It had decent flavor, but the texture wasn't quite there. I didn't get the separation between the muscle fibres like I have with beef. Has anyone done this with better results?
My experience with beef has always been the brisket which has very defined meat fibers with lots of fat. I have found this hard to find with wild game. However, I have had a lot of luck with “rump roast” cuts as they seem to have a more defined grain than other cuts.

My experience with beef has always been the brisket which has very defined meat fibers with lots of fat. I have found this hard to find with wild game. However, I have had a lot of luck with “rump roast” cuts as they seem to have a more defined grain than other cuts.
Ya, I think the texture I'm used to is from the interstitial fat, which venison is short on. I used a chunk from the back hams, so maybe a cut with longer muscle fibres (like a beef brisket)? Hopefully I'll get a bear this fall and I can try it with a fattier meat. Thanks for the response.

Question for the culinary folks out there. What’s your favorite seasoning to put on muley burgers? I’m normally just a salt and pepper guy for burgers and steaks, but I just can’t get to where I really enjoy a muley burger with just salt and pepper unless I load it up with pucky afterwards. I love and elk burger with just salt and pepper, but there’s just something about the taste of a muley burger that seems off to me. I’ve gotten to where I do more of my grindings as spicy Italian sausage or breakfast sausage since the only thing I really use the burger for is chili. Would love to get to where I enjoy a good muley burger though. Any advice? I do add 5% fat to my grindings, so it’s not really a dryness thing.

Question for the culinary folks out there. What’s your favorite seasoning to put on muley burgers? I’m normally just a salt and pepper guy for burgers and steaks, but I just can’t get to where I really enjoy a muley burger with just salt and pepper unless I load it up with pucky afterwards. I love and elk burger with just salt and pepper, but there’s just something about the taste of a muley burger that seems off to me. I’ve gotten to where I do more of my grindings as spicy Italian sausage or breakfast sausage since the only thing I really use the burger for is chili. Would love to get to where I enjoy a good muley burger though. Any advice? I do add 5% fat to my grindings, so it’s not really a dryness thing.
Please see the post above. The people that I have cooked game for love this and it is simple.

I like variety, so I’m always trying different stuff. For simple, those McCormick Grill Mates are pretty good - Chipotle and Roasted Garlic is my favorite. For DIY, I’ll mix it up depending on what I’m putting on burgers. For a Mexican twist, I’ll season with chili powder, cumin, onion and garlic powder, top with pepper jack and avocado. For regular old burgers, seasoned salt and pepper, or a McCormicks. Sometimes garlic, rosemary and pepper topped with caramelized onions and a strong cheese. Sort of like a steak on a bun.

I'm not sure if you ever get away from the mule flavor, but I like to add in ground juniper berries and sage along with salt and pepper. I have also ground in sauted onions/peppers/garlic.

The methods mentioned above sound like great options as well.

You lamb looks terrific!
I used to not like lamb because I never had lamb that was properly cooked. The few times I tried it it was cooked to death. It was just nasty. The flavor reminded me of a rutty old mule deer.
Recently my niece and her boyfriend gave is a package of homegrown lamb-chops. My Father in law suggested Montreal steak seasoning and olive oil. I grilled them to 140° and let them rest a few minutes. I will say they were delicious.

You lamb looks terrific!
I used to not like lamb because I never had lamb that was properly cooked. The few times I tried it it was cooked to death. It was just nasty. The flavor reminded me of a rutty old mule deer.
Recently my niece and her boyfriend gave is a package of homegrown lamb-chops. My Father in law suggested Montreal steak seasoning and olive oil. I grilled them to 140° and let them rest a few minutes. I will say they were delicious.
This lamb is homegrown as well and I'd say it also has a more mild lamb flavor than what you'd get at the store. Cooking wise can pretty much be treated like venison in the rear legs and loins perfect at medium any more and they start to toughen up. Shoulders and neck perfect for braise or stews. The ground is good for pretty much any ground beef recipe(Shepard's pie with ground lamb cant be beat imo)

The lamb flavor itself I think lends itself well with a citrus flavor and herbs. I usually marinate my tender cuts in a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic, salt, pepper, and savory herb of choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back