Sheep rifle

Dave2643

I just drew an Idaho sheep tag that I have been putting in for half my life. I have a .270 that I have shot forever and an old Leopold 3X9 that has never let me down. I am seriously considering a new light rifle with some new optics to help with my dream of killing a bighorn. I am thinking a .270 WSM in a Tekka Lite with a Vortex scope. Any suggestions from anyone in this area would be appreciated.

Personally, I would spend that money on upgrading your optics or boots if needed, and stick with the rifle that your comfortable with.

I would buy the new rifle but find a Leupold VX3 3.5 x 10 40 mm scope and put on it. If you have the time to put in and build confidence in the new setup, take it. If not, I would take my old rifle. Confidence in your rifle is huge.

Congratulations on the tag!!!

Congratulations on the tag, what a fantastic opportunity. New rifles are fun, and a Tikka would suit your hunt well.

That said, if it were me I'd stick with the known performer. A rifle/scope combo that holds consistent zero from day to day is really valuable, and not a given with any offering (new or old). Unless you have a LOT of time to shoot I'd consider one summer a pretty short time to fully vet a new set-up. Vortex has some fine offerings but aside from the heavy duty Razor are not known to be particularly reliable in terms of spinning turrets and holding zero.

That's my take, congrats again on the tag and I hope you find a great ram.

Congratulations on the tag.
As stated above a top shelf spotting scope and binocs would be where my first $4K went. If you are set up already on optics there is never a bad time to get a new rifle.
Vortex scopes are hard to beat for a varmint rifle but leupold are generally lighter for similar properties. $0.02

I just drew an Idaho sheep tag that I have been putting in for half my life. I have a .270 that I have shot forever and an old Leopold 3X9 that has never let me down. I am seriously considering a new light rifle with some new optics to help with my dream of killing a bighorn. I am thinking a .270 WSM in a Tekka Lite with a Vortex scope. Any suggestions from anyone in this area would be appreciated.

You'll get a ton of answers on this one, none of which are probably wrong.

Cooper, Nosler, HS precision are where id start if I weren't looking full on custom. And it would wear Swarovski optics. I LOVE my Cooper.

You're rifle probably wont be your limiting factor. How good of shape you are in will make or break your hunt. Get started yesterday!!!

Curious why you'd want to switch from Leupold if you've had such great luck with yours?

I have never been that impressed with anything Vortex.

I bought a Sako 300 WSM Finnlight a few years ago for an Alaska dall sheep hunt and love it! I have another dall sheep tag again this year and it is going with me. Super nice rifle and when you pick it up you can tell it's quality (made in Norway)! Even though it's a light rifle the 300 WSM doesn't kick at all.

Personally, I would spend that money on upgrading your optics or boots if needed, and stick with the rifle that your comfortable with.

Yep. Keep the rifle and upgrade optics. Get a spotter if you don't have one. Search new optics carefully. mtmuley

I rarely shy away from the opportunity to purchase a new rifle, but I know if I ever draw a sheep tag I'm getting a top shelf spotter as soon as I return to consciousness.

If you like your rifle, put a new lighter scope on it, VX3 2.5-8x36. Or consider swapping out the stock for some weight savings too.

Have you thought about giving your current .270 an upgrade: trigger, stock, optic, etc. It might turn old reliable into the next best thing.

That being said. Tikkas are nice rifles, I own one and really like it. IMO, their factory stocks leave something to be desired, but that is a reletively inexpensive fix from Bell and Carlson. One thing to consider with the Tikkas is that there is only one action length, so you don't save weight by going with a short action cartridge.

Wise words. Sheep are not that hard to kill at reasonable ranges. Boots to protect your feet in the steep sidehill stuff, performance clothing to keep you comfortable, optics to find the sheep including a nice spotter should be a priority before buy a new rifle just to have a different rifle that is no more lethal at reasonable ranges. Saving 3 pounds with a mountain rifle is not the smart way to drop 3 pounds from your mountain hunt setup. Be brutal with your daypack content selection.

Unit19. My reason for a rifle change was the weight factor. My old Ruger 77 is probably 2 lbs heavier than that Tikka Lite. I am going to be 61 years old for this hunt and trying to cut weight wherever possible, starting around the waistline.

I bought a Sako 300 WSM Finnlight a few years ago for an Alaska dall sheep hunt and love it! I have another dall sheep tag again this year and it is going with me. Super nice rifle and when you pick it up you can tell it's quality (made in Norway)! Even though it's a light rifle the 300 WSM doesn't kick at all.

Made in Finland you mean.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back