Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sheep mount

Bambistew

I'm looking for ideas for the sheep T and I are going to kill this fall. ;) Anyone care to share some pictures of their mounts?

T's been having reservations on what form to use on the ram she took last year. The cape is tanned and ready to go... just need to decide on which one. She's thinking semi sneak (right or left), altered to have the head looking down slighly.

Here are a few of mine

pc08bh9.jpg

pc08bh1.jpg

DSC02321.jpg

Minus the deer antlers
IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

I'm not really into taxidermy that much, but I've never seen a pedestal sheep I didn't like.

I would suggest not tipping the nose down. It will make the horns look shorter. I had a nightmare with one of my sheep and the taxidermy guy. I told him specifically I didn't want the nose tipped down on my wall pedestal, but that's exactly what I got.

I made him re-hydrate the hide and redo the mount. The eyes were messed up too and his reply was "Well, it isn't a competition piece"? Should that be what they strive for?

Yup, pedestal or Euro for me and so far it's Euros. I'd like to have a ram on a pedestal eventually...or two...or three.

I really like the first sheep you posted Nube! I think T is pretty well set on what she wants though.

I love that pedestal Oak.

Going to run by the taxi's place this weekend and check out a few he has in his show room.

A pedestal is what I preference if you have the right place for it.

Attachments

• 11.1.jpg
    11.1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,243
  • 11.2.jpg
    11.2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,215
  • 11.6.jpg
    11.6.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,232
Last edited:
I really like the first sheep you posted Nube! I think T is pretty well set on what she wants though.

I love that pedestal Oak.

Going to run by the taxi's place this weekend and check out a few he has in his show room.

I like the pedestals for sure. If I ever get to go on another Dall hunt it will either be a half or pedestal mount. I really like the one posted by oak. Great ram and the colors on it turned out well.
Got to start saving up for another Dall sheep now. Wish I could trade a Rocky mountain hunt for one. I would be all over it.

I used to live in Eagle River, who are you going to take your sheep to?

We're taking it to Woodland Taxidermy, Larry McMurphy, in Palmer/Wasilla area. Bob Holshauser does his sheep for him. I'm very happy with how mine turned out, and am very impressed with his work. This is a crappy picture, I should take some better ones... I'd put his work up against anyone in the area, its way better than most work I've seen. Joe Rameroe is awesome as well, but couldn't see the price difference between them. Joe is $600-700 more, IIRC. That's dang near a sheep hunt. :D

attachment.php

Last edited:
So the sheep is in the works. T stole my idea, but its going to look awesome. Semi-sneak, altered with more turn, and tipped down. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Should have it back before the next sheep hunt. :)

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back