Sheep in the rain

BearFoot

The kid drew an exceptional Sheep tag this year. Late summer we took a hike to get better familiarized with this area. Never been here before. There was a possibility guides may hunt the area. Turns out of all tags drawn for this hunt, my son, is the only Alaskan, to get this tag.
We busted brush, in drizzling rain. Sweating inside of rain gear, mother nature dumping from above. We plowed through alders and wet devils club.
Wet slog 1.jpgWet slog 2.png
Along the way, spotted four black bear, some moose. First day, from the road to near timber line, a little over ten miles. A wet slog all the way. Everything wet!
Next day dumped a lot more. Socked in! We chose to hang out.

Wet slog 3.png

Wet slog 4.png

Following day, the sun poked in an out for a few hours, and gave us chance to dry some things out.
Spotted some goats and sheep higher up. Clothes and gear dried out, we moved on. While climbing, the clouds dropped and rain came dumping again. We crossed glacier moraines in the fog. Our assent into sheep country was, what we called, climbing the waterfall.

New day.JPGPIC 2.jpgGlacier.JPG

"Climbing the waterfall"

Climbing the waterfall 1.JPGClimbing the waterfall 2.jpg

Decided not to go that way again.

Walking up alpine hills in the fog, we came upon a nice flat spot and could hear water flowing. After setting up camp, clouds started to lift, revealing mountains all about. We had goats within a few hundreds of yards.

pic 5.jpgIMG_8615.JPGpic 9.pngIMG_8623.JPG
Could finally see!

Opening day the sun shown and sky's are blue. While preparing to climb into the upper valley, a bush plane came over and circled the valley. High, then mid level, and out of sight low. Off it went and so did we. Not long and we found two rams.
pic 6.jpg
Small bedded in center picture.

With the sunny day came heat distortion and glare from everything wet. Managed to get within 400 yards. Finally decided a no go. The biggest would be next years prize.

Ram 1a.pngRam 1b.pngRam 1c.JPGRam 1d.JPG

We moved further up the valley, found lots of goats. Then we spotted a drop bag with red flagging tape. About 40-50 lbs. Knew what that plane was about. That evening we met the guide and client. Told him our plan "B" was to do "A" harder. They hiked in to retrieve the drop bag and were going elsewhere. Shared access info. They landed on the glacier, saving about a 12 mile hike. A really good exchange.

Moved our camp to the drop bag site. A 16 mile walk in. Rain again. Spotted five rams up some vertical cliffs. One was a full curl hog and then some. Watched as they fed and climbed to the top, crossing over at 6,000 feet. More goats.

Rams 2a.JPGRams 2b.JPG
Big Goat.pngGoat a.JPG

The sheep were directly across the valley from us. In full sight. As evening came on, they bedded. We got up at three. Cool out, could see the ridge they were on. Not raining. Could see several yards in the dark and made our way across the valley floor. Then the climb began. Up rock slides and snow packs. At first light while climbing, I looked back to see a sheep looking our way. Said "freeze!" Five minutes the sheep walked back up and out of sight. We were above them.

Up rock slides 1.JPGUp rock slides 2.JPG

Gaining the ridge, we put on a lot of clothes. The sheep were on a mushroom cap of rock just out of our sight. We thought we could walk out above them, but found passage to be life threatening.

IMG_8654.JPG
2022-08-24_01-53-18 (2).png

Then it began to rain and blow. From time to time a sheep would show up, then down over the side of the hill. They were there! Our hope was they would come our way. We waited eight hours in wind driven rain. At one point I suggested I walk down one side and let them see me. Expect them to spook and come your way. My son did not like the idea of us being separated without comms. We had to call it as both of us were wet and cold. Sure enough, a mile & half down, we got three rams looking down on us. Watched them move across the ridge right pass our ambush spot. It was a cold rainy hike down the valley.

Coming back to camp, our water crossing was impassable. Rain had brought everything up. Found a place to cross 3/4 mile up stream. Camp itself was flat, with pools of rain water on the tent.

IMG_8659.JPG

Our sleep bags and essential clothes were dry in Bivies. More rain in the forecast. Already wet and geared up we called it. Packed up, 5pm headed off the mountain. Camped above the glacier that evening.

pic 7.jpg

What a great father/son excursion. Thanks for sharing with us and hopefully the two of you will be able to give the "big one" another go before the season closes.

Back