Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sheep in close proximity to domestics

Bambistew

My nephew went fishing last week in MT, and sent me a couple pics of some big horns he saw (4-5 ewes and a ram). I've never seen sheep in that area, and have always thought it was prime BH habitat. The problem is there is a large sheep operation run by the State about 4 miles away. I have been mulling this over for the last couple days... Do I forward to FWP and let them go out and shoot them (highly plausible?), or maybe send MT WSF? There is a river barrier, but in reality it's not really a barrier to a wild sheep, in the winter you can wade it, and also at times in the summer you could as well. Might make for a prime conversation between the State agencies. I know of no other domestics within about 10 miles of them, but its hard to pin-point hobby herds/pets. The main wild herd is about 12-18 miles away so it could be a "new" population being established?

I think letting WSF know and them them sort though the politics may be the best choice, given that the F&G could just show up and wack them with little to no press coverage?

Cool to see them, but sad to know the likely outcome either way.

Pretty sure I know where you are talking about, but I won’t mention any locations. I would love to see wild sheep populations in new areas and if it’s where I’m thinking, it seems like a great place.

Can’t help you with what to do. I would guess that others have probably seen them and the authorities might already know they are there.

I wish Montana made more of an effort to establish new wild sheep herds. I know there are a lot of hurdles, but it seems like there are some areas that would make great habitat for sheep. One place in particular that comes to mind is Makoshika Park in eastern MT.

You could contact the National Wildlife Federation's Missoula office. They have staff that works on this issue specifically, and might have information and/or additional relevant contacts for you.

Back