Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Sheep Hunting Optics

I’m considering the larger binos idea myself. Has anyone tried the 18x56 Vortex Kaibab binos?

I have nothing bad to say about mine. They aren't as good as the Swaros, but they are way better than the reports by others here. Maybe I got lucky. Maybe they got unlucky. Hopefully these reviewers arent thinking of the Vortex Vultures.

I would say mine are optically excellent. Mine are clear edge to edge with good color rendition. The eye relief is my only complaint. It is "manageable" but leaves a lot of room for improvement.

I got to borrow a 15x Swaro on a sheep hunt a couple years ago. They were better but not 10x. Maybe 10%. I would never spend 4-5x more for the marginal optical improvements and significantly better eye relief achieved by the Swaros. Of course, if you thought they looked like Coke bottles, then it would definitely be worth the upgrade.

Rokslide has a YouTube video comparing them. I find his review to be spot on with my experience.

You need better eyes if you cant spot bighorns at that range. Every thing has to be perfect to see a long ways, but with shit glass, it doesn't matter. If you want to make this a white sheep vs brown sheep debate, we can wait until you get your next tag and debate it. 😁 we can start with sucess stats. What are they for those tame brown road sheep again 80ish%? Those super easy to spot white rams are significantly less. YMMV.

easy now. not a white versus brown debate and no doubt you have better eyes than me, many folks do.

Guess i got off topic. Having best glass possible in hand was the point and no disagreement there.

What size spotter do most of you guys run when sheep hunting? Do you like the 20-60x60 or 20-60x80? I personally bought a 20-60x60 Swaro but some people were telling me that i really should have got an 80. Just wondering what your opinions are.

We use Bino's far more often than a spotter. The Leica Geovid seems to work well regardless of terrain and/or weather. Have you decided where your going to hunt them ? You might require a guide, depending on where you hunt them and where you live. If so, I bet they would have a spotter. Wish you the beat of luck on your hunt

@MTGomer,
I’m far from an expert when it comes to glassing, but I have the Maven 15s and really like them. they’re not Swaros but I think have the edge on the Vortex (although I haven’t compared both in dim light). Their demo program is great so worth taking a look with no risk.

FWIW, I picked up a doubler with mine as I thought it could let me cut weight on a spotter. I wouldn’t do that again.

Anybody know how the 15 or 18x Mavens compare to Vortex?

Don't overlook the 25-50 wide angle eyepiece coupled with either the 65 or 80 Swarovski spotting scopes.

ClearCreek

I second this. The 25-50x wide angle is the bomb. Field of view is also very important. My buddy has the 20-60x when I go from mine to that one I feel like I’m looking through a straw.

A good pair of swaro 10x42s on a good tripod beats a pair of larger vortex all day. Eye fatigue is also something you want to avoid. The swaros let you look through them all day with little straining. Also key is a good tripod. I love my outdoorsman tripod. I can switch back and forth from binos to spotter in seconds and not loose my spot on the hill. People who don’t put binos on tripods are missing animals. No doubt about it.

Hope you got some gift cards for christmas because bottom line just plain on dropping about 4k on optics. Almost just as important is a solid tripod. It don't matter what kind of optics you got if you couple it with a shitty tripod setup. Don't skimp.

Hope you got some gift cards for christmas because bottom line just plain on dropping about 4k on optics. Almost just as important is a solid tripod. It don't matter what kind of optics you got if you couple it with a shitty tripod setup. Don't skimp.
What optics do you run @EYJONAS! Just trying to learn from the guys who’ve done it multiple times.

Swaro sts 20x60 80mm scope I've had it about 10 years.

Cabelas euro 12x50 binos (the original ones by meopta)

Sirui carbon tripod with va-5 head visit s
S&S Archery supply they have some freakin sweet deals on some great optics and tripods. Outdoorsman Bino adapter. (To me love me christmas present)

I also have a nice vanguard tripod as well that is a backup or now my wife's.

I am considering buying buying a set of 15x56s for sheep hunting but it'll be a long ways down the road.

Look at meopta, maven, kowa, swaro, maven would be a serious consideration for me hell you can get a demo set from them if you like it buy it if not send it back. Now that's a sweet deal.

I can't say enough good things about swaro though. I have had that thing in some real shit she's taken a couple lumps over the years on accident. Last year I sent it in to get a tune up and for 50 bucks I am pretty sure everything that was replaceable was...... including the lens. You can't beat that.

Swaro sts 20x60 80mm scope I've had it about 10 years.

Cabelas euro 12x50 binos (the original ones by meopta)

Sirui carbon tripod with va-5 head visit s
S&S Archery supply they have some freakin sweet deals on some great optics and tripods. Outdoorsman Bino adapter. (To me love me christmas present)

I also have a nice vanguard tripod as well that is a backup or now my wife's.

I am considering buying buying a set of 15x56s for sheep hunting but it'll be a long ways down the road.

Look at meopta, maven, kowa, swaro, maven would be a serious consideration for me hell you can get a demo set from them if you like it buy it if not send it back. Now that's a sweet deal.

I can't say enough good things about swaro though. I have had that thing in some real shit she's taken a couple lumps over the years on accident. Last year I sent it in to get a tune up and for 50 bucks I am pretty sure everything that was replaceable was...... including the lens. You can't beat that.
I’m mostly looking to get a set of 10x42 Swaro SLCs , a good bino harness from FHF, a good tripod ( I like what I’ve heard about Siriu and Slik ) and a decent spotter of some sort. Eventually I want a Swaro spotter also.

My buddy @Cav1 had his Swaro binos and spotter when we were scouting this summer and I’ve been sold on that brand ever since. Clearest glass I’ve ever seen.

Should I invest more heavily in binos or a spotter first? Like if I can only afford to buy one Swaro at the time should I throw that money at spotter or binos first?

Would agree with the tripod statement. Makes no since to spend that much on glass and not thin
I’m mostly looking to get a set of 10x42 Swaro SLCs , a good bino harness from FHF, a good tripod ( I like what I’ve heard about Siriu and Slik ) and a decent spotter of some sort. Eventually I want a Swaro spotter also.
I will second the sirui tripod EYJONAS was talking about. Ran prob the same setup with the VA-5 head last year. Was really impressed with it.

Do you have a set of decent binos? I guess it's totally up to you but, I went with the spotter first. Eventhough your not primarily using the scope all the time it's damn nice to have. Saved me a lot of miles over the years. I still don't have top of the line binos but my set I have now makes me plenty happy. One day when i hit it big and my wife is actually in the med field and not in school i'll get some high end binos👌😁

Do you have a set of decent binos? I guess it's totally up to you but, I went with the spotter first. Eventhough your not primarily using the scope all the time it's damn nice to have. Saved me a lot of miles over the years. I still don't have top of the line binos but my set I have now makes me plenty happy. One day when i hit it big and my wife is actually in the med field and not in school i'll get some high end binos👌😁
Binos I have are basic but get the job done around here. I want to upgrade both but I’m kinda thinking like you that spotter is where I’ll sink the big money and buy some BX4 Leupolds now and maybe upgrade to Swaro binos later and pass the BX4s down to my kids when they get old enough to hunt or keep them as a spare.

If you gonna buy the scope get the bigger glass don't get the 65 you'll have buyers remorse. I don't care what brand you have you see more people selling 65s on these forums than anything.

Why get off in Minneapolis when your going to Chicago.

Anybody know how the 15 or 18x Mavens compare to Vortex?
Pretty sure they’re both zen ray glass, so unless each of those companies does their own coatings, glass is the same. The build however may not be equal. I’ve never owned either but I have enough buddies that own vortex to know that I will never own them.

Pretty sure they’re both zen ray glass, so unless each of those companies does their own coatings, glass is the same. The build however may not be equal. I’ve never owned either but I have enough buddies that own vortex to know that I will never own them.
I just picked up a set of Zen-Rays on this forum actually. It was a christmas present for the Mrs. I did like them when we were outside checking them out. I didn't realize they made glass for others as well.

Should I invest more heavily in binos or a spotter first? Like if I can only afford to buy one Swaro at the time should I throw that money at spotter or binos first?

Oh here is my 2 pennies worth of advice. First piece of glass I would get for western glassing is the swaro 15's and a great tripod. The Swaro 12 power EL's could be substituted. You will look through your binos more than your spotter. Probably 10 to 1 so you might as well get the best binos you can. I have the outdoorsman medium compact with and extra center post extension. It is more solid than the slik tripods but might weigh a few ounces more. Then I would look at a spotter. Think of the spotter as a tool you use once you find the critter and need to look at the quality of the animal. Some use the spotter to locate game but I can't look through one very long because I get a headache with only using on eye. Drives me crazy. I love my BTX but that might not be for everyone.

I also like to have a set of 10# binos hanging around too if weight and space aren't an issue. Going into the UL I would bring 15's, tripod and spotter/BTX and leave the 10# at home. And maybe the most important piece of gear........great cushion to sit on for hours and hours and hours.......days and days and days........

Has anyone on here tried the Leupold BX5 15x56 binos? I really want the Swaros but I’m just shopping my options before I drop that much coin.

Back