Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sheep cape

corndog1

I was hoping some of you in the "know" might be able to tell me what a big horn sheep cape might be worth. Off a ram with 16 1/8" bases. I don't really have any ideas of what to do with it as I prefer euro mounts.

I was just talking to a taxidermist about this, he said a good cape could easily go over a thousand bucks, but it's heavily dependent on condition and color.

Yes. Very good that you didn't toss it. Hopefully you took good care of it. Sheep capes are golden. Taxidermists will sometimes give a couple hundred bucks for a very large deer cape in good condition with no holes. Surprisingly, the beat up ones can bring a better price. The going thing nowadays is a huge buck mount with scars or ragged ear(s). The fighter look is in. I shot a decent muley a couple years ago and offered the cape to a local Montana taxidermist if he would skin it. At his shop I noticed it had a half moon section of one ear missing. Probably bit by a coyote as a fawn. "Ah crap. You don't want that." Oh yes he did! Very much!

I would suggest calling one of the big outfits that do the work for jet set crowd. Maybe Jonas Brothers. They get a lot of sheep projects all the time and doubtless some client capes get wrecked before they see them. Or tannery screws them up.

The big outfits pay pennies on the dollar compared to actual value. Find a hunter needing a cape for best price. For example, know of a full body salted cape the big outfits would go $500 for that sold for over $2000 direct to the hunter who needed one badly.

I prefer euros too.

B7DB500B-2751-4FEF-A375-AA203FC4A750.png

Last edited:
Years ago I friend shot a B&C Montana ram that he only wanted a shoulder mount. He talked to the taxidermist before he shot his ram. He was able to get his ram out whole and ungutted, and he got it to his taxidermist within a few hours after he shot it. His taxidermist found a shoulder cape for his ram and traded the mounting cost for the full skin.

A dall sheep cape is worth 700ish LS is worth 1200ish. I would add 25% on for BH, assuming they were well cared for. Look on taxidermy.net for an idea of prices.

I was hoping some of you in the "know" might be able to tell me what a big horn sheep cape might be worth. Off a ram with 16 1/8" bases. I don't really have any ideas of what to do with it as I prefer euro mounts.
Did you find anyone to pick up the cape? Unfortunately my cape got lost and am looking.

My Marco Polo ram cape disappeared and a taxidermist invented an excellent replica from a caribou hide. Just a thought

I'm hoping to kill a ram with my bow this year and unless its massive, the thing is going to be a Euro.

I believe a shoulder cape is worth over $1500 USD, lifesize between 2-3 k USD

Hello,
I am looking for a cape for my mount would you still have one?
If so you are welcome to call me

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back