Caribou Gear

Sheep cape

Like shooting from the road? Doesn't mean I'm going to do it
I’m not encouraging you to break the law, I am questioning your belief that it is illegal. under what jurisdiction is it that you think it is illegal? I mean the things are literally bought and sold by the most reputable taxidermists in the world, with no attempts to hide it, in plain sight of game wardens for decades and decades, without a single citation. In other words, there may be some technicality that makes it illegal due to some nuance with your particular situation, but it is certainly not broadly, and generally illegal.

A better comparison would be an outfitter advertising road hunts, then taking hunters on road hunts for decades, and repeatedly having their clients kill animals from the road, while the game warden is watching, and never having anybody get cited.

Last edited:
I see you are in Bozeman. Call Monarch taxidermy in Helena. They are one of the best sheep taxidermists around and will be able to tell you anything you want to know

I’m not encouraging you to break the law, I am questioning your belief that it is illegal. under what jurisdiction is it that you think it is illegal? I mean the things are literally bought and sold by the most reputable taxidermists in the world, with no attempts to hide it, in plain sight of game wardens for decades and decades, without a single citation. In other words, there may be some technicality that makes it illegal due to some nuance with your particular situation, but it is certainly not broadly, and generally illegal.

I better comparison would be an outfitter advertising road hunts, then taking hunters on road hunts for decades, and repeatedly having their clients kill animals from the road, while the game warden is watching, and never having anybody get cited.
I can tell you why I think that. Because I called fwp and they told me it was illegal. And not worth one second more of my time. Have a nice day

Pg 15 of PDF:

Sale of Game Animals (MCA 87-6-206) A person may not purposely or knowingly sell, purchase, or exchange all or part of any game fish, bird, game animals, or furbearing animals, except that a person may sell, purchase, or exchange:
- Hides, heads, or mounts of game fish, birds, game animals, or fur-bearing animals that have been lawfully killed, captured, or taken, except that the sale or purchase of a hide, head, or mount of a grizzly bear is prohibited, except as provided by federal law.
- Naturally shed antlers or the antlers with a skull or portion of a skull attached from a game animal that has died from natural causes and that has not been unlawfully killed, captured, or taken or accidentally killed; for additional exceptions, see 87-6-206 MCA. Sale of meat is not allowed.

When I kill my unlimited ram, I wanted to know if once I had it checked and received my transportation slip, if it was OK to take it to the taxidermist and have the face caped, and drop off the cape and have the head skull capped, or if I had to present the intact cape and head again at regional headquarters for plugging. Nobody could answer this, so I eventually got put in touch with the head law enforcement guy, whatever his title was. He didn’t know either, but he told me to go ahead and take the head down to Cody Wyoming and if anybody gave me any grief just to have them call him, and he gave me his personal cell phone number. Pretty laissez-faire

You should see me try to get an answer out of them if non-resident native deer/elk combination licenses are returnable for an 80% refund before August 1. That varies from year to year and depends on who you talk to. Nobody can cite a statute, or give a consistent reason for why it is one way or another.

It is illegal to sell a Colorado sheep cape "inside" Colorado. But if one has a colorado sheep cape, one could go 5 feet outside the state and legally sell it and reenter the state cash in hand with no rule or law broken. The details of such rules matter. Follow them to the letter for the relevant state and all should be good.

Last edited:
It is illegal to sell a Colorado sheep cape "inside" Colorado. But if one has a colorado sheep cape, one could go 5 feet outside the state and legally sell it adn reenter the starte cash in hand woith no rule or law broken. The details of such rules matter. Follow them to the letter for the relevant state and all should be good.
This isn’t true either. You can legally sell a sheep cape in Colorado once the sheep has been plugged and verified. Can’t sell meat in Colorado, most everything else is legal. Killed my ram this past fall with intentions of euro mount and discussed it in depth with game wardens and multiple CPW officials that were on sight when mine got inspected.

Good Lord, the bad info floating around.
Here's the CO link to regs, are they the only state with regs like this limiting sale unless plugged?

Screenshot 2023-02-13 130608.jpg

Here's the CO link to regs, are they the only state with regs like this limiting sale unless plugThanks
Here's the CO link to regs, are they the only state with regs like this limiting sale unless plugged?

View attachment 264617
Thanks for posting this. I was just looking for it so I could snip the image.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back