Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Shed hunting

Luke_with_a_lab

Hey guys. I'm thinking I might try shed hunting this year. I've found a few sheds in the past but never actively sought them out. Curious if anyone wanted to share some tips on how to be successful, also maybe things not to do or waste your time doing.

That's a very open ended question but will assume since this is in the elk forum that you are specifically wanting to look for elk sheds. The first thing is knowing where elk are going to be when they shed and do you legally have access to that land. So many sheds hunters have zero morals or ethics and will do anything to get their hands on antlers including trespassing and harassing the animals on their winter range - don't be one of those people. Elk in Montana start shedding in March with the largest bulls generally shedding first, 2 and 3 year old bulls will hold onto antlers well into April and then spikes will shed last towards the end of April into early May sometimes. My advice is to use your binos and spotting scope to locate and watch elk from a distance during this shedding period and then hike into those areas after the animals have started to disperse from the winter range. Focus on feeding areas like open and semi-open south facing slopes. Bedding timber can also be productive. Some elk browse during the winter as much as they graze so don't overlook areas of heavy shrubs if that habitat occurs in your area. You mentioned finding sheds in the past - I would go back to those places if you have legal access. Elk will often shed in the exact same places year after year. If you wait as I am suggesting you do, until the elk have started to disperse from the winter range, you will lose out on a lot of antlers to those that don't respect the resource but that's all just part of the deal. If you are interested in a true spectacle, try going to one of Montana's Wildlife Management Areas on May 15 when they open :). Good luck to you and feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further. There is also a Shed forum on this site where you might be able to pick up some additional thoughts on the subject.

Great response by Griztrax, and I would second that. I've found my very limited Elk sheds within a mile or less of big feeding areas, and a few up on secretive benches. I love benches, for Elk and Mulies, and eastern facing benches have produced well for me in the past. Again, I have limited experience, but as Griztrax says Elk will use similar areas if there is good feed, year to year. I find shed hunting to be one of the best spring activities for getting in shape for Elk season...especially if you find a shed, because then you just want to hike further and further! Miles for piles as they say.

If you understand the animals habits in the spring, you will find the antlers. Don't look for big groups of elk, the cows/spikes and few raghorns, its a waste of time for reward. Look for the small groups of bulls in out of the way pockets. Look for feeding/bedding and travel areas, get out the spotter and start looking... in march/feb.

Back