Yeti GOBOX Collection

She wasn't a good bird dog

I've always had at least two hunting dogs since I started bird hunting, currently have 4 in the house (one lap dog for my wife) and another on the way.
Through the years I've had to say goodbye to 3, and its equally rough each time. I have found comfort coming home to the others, being forced to be in the here & now with them. It's allowed me to remember the dog that's passed without focusing on just that.

It looks and sounds like yours was loved deeply and gave the same in return. May you remember her with love and find another to continue loving as you would have her.

My thoughts go out to you and your family. It’s the hardest part of each dogs life and I think it gets even tougher with each new dog that enters your life

"There’s no worse experience than putting down a dog. She would die for you, and now she’s dying because of you." - David Petzal

Looks to me like you gave that dog its best life possible.

That's it man. That's my rub. I killed my f$cking dog yesterday...
No you didn't. I've been there. Never did I look at it that way. I've seen people keep dogs that needed to be gone for way too long. Just for them and not the dog. It's easy to be selfish at the expense of your dog. They deserve better at the end just like the beginning. I feel for you. Like I told my wife, it's what we sign up for the minute we bring them home. But it's worth it. mtmuley

Yeah it sucks, even when its relatively smooth, painless, effortless at a vet. Did it a little over a year ago. Grief sucks in general but making that call takes a while to recover from.

At some point you have to make a call about quality vs quantity of life.

It's difficult to think logically during an emotional experience. Try to step outside of yourself for a moment and consider how you would feel if you caused your dog unnecessary pain and suffering rather than letting her go before the pain became overwhelming.

Being merciful is showing love. Keeping her alive longer and enduring needless pain would be cruel. Don't burden yourself with guilt for being merciful.

Sorry to hear this, @neffa3. After ours died a year ago I said we were never getting another. Before her ashes were cold my wife brought a new one home! Smh 🤦‍♂️

No you didn't. I've been there. Never did I look at it that way. I've seen people keep dogs that needed to be gone for way too long. Just for them and not the dog. It's easy to be selfish at the expense of your dog. They deserve better at the end just like the beginning. I feel for you. Like I told my wife, it's what we sign up for the minute we bring them home. But it's worth it. mtmuley
I never agreed w @mtmuley more than in this post. Makes me sick to see pets suffering @ the end of their lives because their people are too busy avoiding their own sadness to do right by the failing pet, who relies on their human to make this one decision in the animal's favor. The height of selfishness, that. Just because it is hard to make that last decision, just because we know how lonely and even guilty we will feel, those are exactly the reasons to answer the life of devotion from your pet by letting them go when they have given their all.

I yield the soapbox to the next expert, got something in my eyes.

In a completely effed up way, yes you did. And it sucks. We had to make the same decision last winter. But for our Moses and for your Zoe it was 100% the right decision.

If you need to cry - then cry. If you need to scream - then scream. If you want to be pissed - be pissed.

That’s the thing with grief, do what you need to. Period.

Only certainty is Zoe “Brown Dog” is chilling with John Moses Browning.

D44C6FE1-CA0E-449A-871D-028255D73294.jpeg

Damnit man!!! So sorry to hear that. Makes me tear up reading the whole thread. She was loved deeply. Hang in there. Gotta be one of the roughest decisions a person can make.

F*ck.

Just no words.

I dread the day I have to go through this.

I’m a firm believer that a dog never truly is gone until people stop talking about them.

Can’t imagine the anguish you’re going through.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back