She wasn't a good bird dog

Irrelevant

But she was my bird dog.

We jokingly named her Zoe Daddy's Little Princess as her akc name. I can count the number of birds she ever pointed on one hand. There was hardly a day that passed that I didn't cuss her. But her love for us was unconditional... and for that my love for her was deeper than I ever admitted. I miss you already Brown Dog...
27664772514111.jpeg

I can't help but think of the Jimmy Stewart poem

I made a little memorial plaque for my office with the words of one of my favorite authors The Borealist.

Overlain on one of the pictures above

And now...
20220913_223453.jpg

Just an empty bed...

This is the first dog of MINE that I've ever made the "decision"... I suppose it's part of #adulting and i should just Man Up, I mean you can't have the puppy without the "decision"... but my god does it have to feel like this?

I played fetch with her today...

As I dug her grave.

I got my morning loves...

Stubby tail wiggling to beat hell.

And now... she's just...

...gone.

Last edited:
Man I'm so sorry. If it's any consolation, you made the right choice. I couldn't convince myself that my last good boy was ready to go yet and he passed away while I was still two days out of town on the way back from MT. It tore me up hard to not have been there for his last days. I still get choked up about it.

I don't envy you friend.
I have one now that rips my heart out daily as I know I will have to say goodbye to her in time. She holds a special place in my heart.
Over the years I have had to bid farewell to these little buddies and each goodbye is as brutal as the first.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back