Kodiak18.jpg

Buck-1.jpg

Bear12.jpg

Badger.jpg

7pt.jpg

Colors2.jpg

Kodiak5.jpg

Kodiak2.jpg

I am in awe.... outstanding photos. How unfortunate that most people have to live through photos taken by others. Us outdoorsmen and women get to live it. Thanks for sharing. Ed F

Lucky Mike...

Scenery pictures do not trump experience... You are a lucky man, no doubt about it. Thanks for sharing.

A memory not to be forgotten !

Here are a few pics of my friend's Bighorn ram which completed his Grand Slam. I was privileged to go along with him ( I was a neophyte and 17 years younger) on this hunt which took us above timberline here in Colorado. The views we saw were spectacular everywhere we went ! It was an experience I'll never forget as we spotted a group of five rams way off in the distance and afterwords he decided there's one in the group that he felt was worth going after. We planned the approach after both he and I concluded what the best approach was. I had noticed deer, over two days, routinely after feeding taken a trail off to the right atop a ridge hopefully that would take us towards the rams. Looking back I laugh when he instructed me upon entering the valley meadow below to cross in a certain fashion ! That was to bend way over and slowly cross, stopping at times, giving the appearance that we were grazing being mindful of their superior eyesight. We got to the other side , climbed the hillside and follwed a deer trail to an overlook with the big ram sleeping just 80 yards below us out in the open. The other four were seen just to his right in a grove of evergreens showing only their feet. After a little hesitation he fired three shots in rapid succession. Wondering why was followed with an explanation that he didn't want to lose him as a previous experince in British Colunbia. Well after capturing the big event on film and gutting him, I was stunned to see three holes in it's heart the size of a quarter ! He was very happy with his 270 winchester featherweight. Well I'm happy to see these pics again as his friendship was treasured -my friend has since passed away . To him I say thanks for all the great memories and introduction to sheep hunting and all the highcountry he showed me !

Attachments

• img139.jpg
    img139.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 430
  • img140.jpg
    img140.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 439
  • img138.jpg
    img138.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 429
Some more on my favorite memories

Thankyou, everyone for the kind words on my previously posted pictures. I am inspired to post a couple more pics of my friend and mentor, Jim Ford after seeing and reading Ridgerunner1Co's tribute to his friend and mentor. There are some similarities: Jim was 17-years my senior and he is now deceased. Killed in a plane crash while riding in the back seat of a Super Cub flow by an individual, who Jim had taught to fly.

Here are pictures of two very different campsites we spent time at while hunting his bighorn in Montana's Sun River country in 1974. The campsite above timber is where I took his wife after his death so she could spread his ashes there as he had requested.

Attachments

• bighorn 009a.jpg
    bighorn 009a.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 401
  • bighorn 001a.jpg
    bighorn 001a.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 423
  • bighorn 003a.jpg
    bighorn 003a.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
LuckyMike, you can share photos like that all day long. I like looking a those "old school" photos. No Sitka or KUIU?? Pshaw!!

Thanks everyone else as well. Lots of great experiences pictured.

LuckyMike, you can share photos like that all day long. I like looking a those "old school" photos. No Sitka or KUIU?? Pshaw!!

Thanks everyone else as well. Lots of great experiences pictured.

x2 , thank you all. Living vicariously through these awesome photos. We don't get this kind of scenery. Sure are making it easy for me to chose to retire out west.

It's happened more than once! You spend the whole day on the mountain hunting for elk omly to come down and find them in private land !

Attachments

• Four Mile elk 08 004.jpg
    Four Mile elk 08 004.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 253
  • Four Mile elk 08 005.jpg
    Four Mile elk 08 005.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 255

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member