Shame on us

So I used to think that this was just a joke until I was talking with a woman in Florida who looked, spoke, and acted normal and intelligent. The subject of hunting came up and she had a line that was very similar to this. Basically she thought that animals at a slaughter house were easygoing, taken care of and basically willing participants. Shooting a deer was just an "aggressive" act. All I could do was blink and walk away.

Can’t make this stuff up

I think I have seen this many times over the years. I have some doubt as to it's authenticity, but I also don't get too wound up about a single person's ideas (good or bad). I certainly would not generalize at all from this, even if it were true, and I am doubtful of that.

That thing is about as old as the internet but still funny.

There's also a good radio clip out there somewhere regarding deer crossing signs.

I highly doubt that was ever in a paper. However, I don't doubt plenty of people think like that. But to keep it in perspective that is no way the dumbest thought that voting, reproducing, members of our society have.

So I used to think that this was just a joke until I was talking with a woman in Florida who looked, spoke, and acted normal and intelligent. The subject of hunting came up and she had a line that was very similar to this. Basically she thought that animals at a slaughter house were easygoing, taken care of and basically willing participants. Shooting a deer was just an "aggressive" act. All I could do was blink and walk away.
I’ve got a student like this, disgusted by the fact that I hunt, yet brings a turkey or roast beef sandwich everyday. I’ve tried every form of diplomacy, including elk jerky that I made for all my students for Christmas. She won’t budge. She gets a pass in my book though, being 14 and all.

I don't even know where to start with this. This is a double-edged meme. It makes fun of the ignorant anti-hunter who thinks eating meat from the store is completely different and separate from the evils of eating meat that was hunted. But it also serves to create this idea that there is an army of anti-hunters out there who are maliciously ignorant and that we must be closed off to them. It is a very succinct encapsulation of the Us vs. Them mentality that keep two sides from communicating and creating understanding. Which in my opinion is something we need less of, not more.

I went in to a Kum n go asking for the day old donuts. When asked why I wanted them I told the male clerk in early to mid twenties that I want them for baiting bears his whole countenance changed.What did the bear ever do to you he asked. I quickly replied, what did your chicken nuggets and quarter pounder ever do to you? He begin to explain that was different. I explained the horrible conditions that market raised beef and chickens live in and basically told him it's hypocritical to judge me for having the courage and skill to get my own organic meat that lives it's whole life in a free range environment if he was paying someone else to kill his food. I don't know if he ever got it or not.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back