Caribou Gear

Setting Treestands

jore07

I'm new to setting treestands and will be for a SD whitetail hunt in 2011. I am basically wondering is there any tips that would help me. Also I was curious what height do you all usually set your stands at?

Thanks for all the help.

First and foremost, always wear a harness. I always threw a lock on mine too (even on private). If you're using a climber, be extra cautious if it's raining. I've never used one, but I've heard the bark (at least back East) can get a slick causing you to slide back down. I liked using screw in steps. That way I could removed the bottom few when I left which may have helped to prevent someone from stealing anything. Make sure to take a rope so you can tow your bow/rifle up to you rather than trying to carry it up with you.

It's nice to have a buddy come out with you. That way you can sit in the stand and have him cut a few shooting lanes for you while you're up there. Make sure to bring a pair of long tree limb snips.

I also threw a few of the push pins that light up when they're hit with a flash light in a couple trees around the stand especially if I was hunting a new area. Makes it much easier to find your stand in the dark.

I also taped off 25 yards on a few trees around the stand in case one snuck up on me and I didn't have a chance to range it. Takes some of the guesswork out of things and lets you concentrate more on the shot than estimating your yardage.

Height really depended on the type of forest I was in. I probably average around 15ft.

I know there aren't too many people that use them out here, but I've had a few bucks come into scent bombs. I usually wouldn't use them unless I had been hunting a few days without seeing any bucks.

What part of SD?

When it comes to stands I look for trees with the most back ground cover possible. Pines being the best. 12-15 feet is plenty high for early season. I'm assuming you are whitetail hunting. Water being the #1 area to set up fo the bigger bucks. Food and food plots are really tough to pattern here since most of the bigger deer feed after dark but with go to water early.
the most worn down trail is not the best option. Look for trails 10-20 yards on either side that are visable but look like there are used very little.
For scent control if you can afford a Ozonics GET ONE. Best invention ever for bow hunting scent contol.

I hunt whitetails from Sept 15 - Jan 15 and I hardly ever use a treestand. I enjoy the flexibility and challenge of hunting at eye level. However, I have placed stands and helped others.
A few considerations to make are 1. Predominant wind for the time of year you will be hunting. 2. Predominant travel direction of the deer. 3. Proximity and shooting angle to the trail, etc.

As for height, most people I know are at 15-20 feet.

mdunc - Thanks for the tips and tricks. I haven't thought of a couple of those before so thank you.

wswat - Mellette county, SD - little east of Wood, SD

xrayts - What tactics do you usually use on whitetail? I have primarily hunted mule deer so spot and stalk I am used to and don’t' have hardly any experience with whitetail hunting.

I will be hunting whitetail during archery season (oct. 20 - 29) and plan on bringing a couple stands and a blind or two to set up in a few areas on my day of arrival. Then from there I am not really sure. It’s on a family ranch so cattle may be an issue as well but not other hunters as far as I know. Lots of ground too, like 5,000 plus acres.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks for everything so far.

I now like ladder stands. approx. 15 feet. Always wear a harness, check your stand all the time for safety, because it really hurts when your pedestal treestand collapses from 24' up and you have to unhook your harness to climb over a branch to access your stand, TRUST me! Good luck. What part of SD you hunting?

I agree with Xrayts. I had a lot of success this year stalking within bow range of whities in cottonwood river bottoms. It can definitely be done. It's nearly impossible back East as you're crawling through leaves the whole way. If you are hunting a river bottom, you can use the stream bed for cover. Much quieter and keeps you out of site. Just pop your head up every hundred yards or so to locate animals.

Look for natural "funnels" leading to feeding areas and set up on the edges. When I stand hunt I like to be at about 20 feet... Deer today will look up-- and you also get better scent dispersal.. I don't worry much about scent. There's nothing out there that will totally eliminate human scent--take a good shower with non-scented soap and always keep your hunting clothes outside. If you can, place your stands so that you'll always have a down wind location.

I will be hunting whitetail during archery season (oct. 20 - 29) and plan on bringing a couple stands and a blind or two to set up in a few areas on my day of arrival. Then from there I am not really sure. It’s on a family ranch so cattle may be an issue as well but not other hunters as far as I know. Lots of ground too, like 5,000 plus acres.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks for everything so far.
That is an awesome time of year...when the bucks are on their feet looking for hot does. Usually I call deer when their seeking...two estrous bleats, wait a couple of minutes and grunt like a buck chasing. I call in a lot of smaller bucks, but every once in a while, a bigger deer will show himself.
I love hunting close to bedding areas and recent buck sign. An active scrape or a group of several fresh rubs in one spot are great. I stray away from rubs and scrapes on field edges. It seems that most of those are tended at night.
I don't know if any of this is any help. Hopefully, the timing is similar in South Dakota.

5000 acres is a lot of ground. You need help? ;)

Last edited:
when hunting from set stands I always try to have a few different set so that the wind is not a factor. I generaly hunt out of a climber because it affords me the most mobility.

No matter which you choose make sure that you have some good backcover behind you, you don't want to be sticking off the side of the tree like a wart. Deer pick up on that pretty quick.

As always safety is a big issue with tree stands, seems like we have more and more fall out of them every year, although I never have , I have known those who did.

Along with others stated: ALWAYS cut or clip branches that are in your shooting lanes. I promise that if you do not cut that branch it will be in your arrows path. Sit in the stand once up and note all the branches that must be trimmed. Better to do it now then when season is in full swing.

good luck to all
the dog

what kind of treestands are you using? ladder, climbers, or loc -on's?

make sure ground blinds are hidden. critters know when something is new in an area. and those things do stand out. cover with as much native stuff as you can when setting them in place.

ladder stands. best to have two people. one on the ground while the other climbs up and attachesthe strap to the tree. do not tighten the strap at first. you have to be able to move the stand up and down while you get the support arm in place. once you have that tied to the stand and around the tree, go back up and tighten the strap at the top. best to get a ratchet strap instead of using the buckle strap that comes with the ladder stands. bring a rope to pull gear up.

climbers. safety harness all the time. practice with it before you go to hunt. do not practice on slick barked trees or telephone poles. instant trouble. attach your drag rope to the seat part. that way, when you get to the height you want to be at, you will know. make sure you attach the rope or strap that comes with the stand to each other. will give you a guide as to how far to move the stand each time safely.

loc-on's. prefer climbing sticks now over the screw in steps. less work, and definately safer in the long run. get your steps in place, then, with your safety harness on, attach the stand tothe tree. do not set it up where you have to step up to get onto the stand. leave it lower than the highest step. step even, or down to get onto the stand. same thing with a rope here. and keep the safety harness on at all times.

good luck

5000 acres is a lot of ground. You need help? ;)

If it wasn't my first time hunting on his property, I'd be tempted to take someone. I want to show him how I hunt and that I am responsible first before I ever bring anyone along. That is one reason why I am going alone at first. He may be family but by marriage only so he doesn't have to let me on. I am catching quite a bit of crap from friends because of this.

Usually I call deer when their seeking...two estrous bleats, wait a couple of minutes and grunt like a buck chasing.

That’s another thing I need to practice. I have no knowledge of calling deer. I was thinking of bring some horns to rattle, and then maybe a grunt call and a doe (can) call. What do you guys use?

Also as for a safety harness what do you guys recommend? I have what looks to be a crappy one that came with the stand but looks horribly uncomfortable? I've seen the Hunters Safety Systems one that are like vests. Those look alright I suppose. Just no experience with any of them.

Sorry for all the questions guys...I just want to be as prepared as I can when I go. I am going to practice this year setting up and taking down at my folks and shooting from a treestand so I know what it's like.

Really thanks a bunch for all the help guys. This is one reason why I really enjoy this forum.

I never had much luck calling, but our buck:doe ratio in Virginia is pretty terrible. I've only tried it once (rattling) out here and we pulled in a nice buck.

If it wasn't my first time hunting on his property, I'd be tempted to take someone.
Didn't hurt to ask. ;)

That’s another thing I need to practice. I have no knowledge of calling deer. I was thinking of bring some horns to rattle, and then maybe a grunt call and a doe (can) call. What do you guys use?
I use a Primos Buck Roar and Great Big Can.
I have rattled, but never had any luck.

Never face you stand facing the trail. Bad shot angle and Hi-Visibility to the deer. Have it face away the direction you expect the deer to be coming from, so that they approach you from the back. They won't be able to see you until they are in good angle. Height depends on the canopy, set up just below it, you'll blend in from down, but still be able to see well.

I've used the Hunters Safety System since I took my flight out of the tree....Can't really tell you how good it works since I haven't jumped out again but it is comfortable and you don't really notice it...the only thing I don't like is the strap is too short....I understand not falling too far but it could stand to be about a foot longer IMO. I would recommend practicing setting the stand long before you make the trip...They can be set pretty easily once you get the hang of it but hanging on to a stand while on a step and strapped to the tree isn't very natural for most people. put you up one of your steps and just practice from about a foot off the ground. Even if you get a climber practicing long before the season gets here is very helpful. you never know how your going to react to hanging in a tree:eek:

If you use a climber like ..Loggy Bayou dont go up a wet poplar unless you have a harness on and make sure its tight enough and at an angle so when you get higher it still grips. Nothing worse than getting 15 feet up and having stand slide back down 4 feet. Speakin from experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back