Selling Basketball card collection?

omg, you guys have literally ruined my day. You can pick up a signed Jim Paxon and Kiki Vandeweghe for under $10. As a Blazers fan I'm shocked. Might was well start using my "collection" for fire starters.

*EDIT, I mean signed series, not actually signed.

We had a family friend that was a big card collector when he was a kid. He had forgotten about them for decades. He mentioned them to my dad when I was into cards as a kid. He brought over a shoebox full of random cards. I’ll never forget sitting in the living room floor sorting through them. Found a Ted Williams. A Mantle. Couple Yogis. Was amazing to sort through them. From what I remember, it was close to $10,000 worth of cards at the time. Come to find out, he had nearly complete sets from early 40s to 50s in his attic. He immediately put them in a box at the bank and hired someone to sell them. Bought a house on the Outer Banks with cash.

Finally tossed most of mine a few years ago. Was probably most excited about the Garbage Pail Kids I found.

I have like 80 Shawn Kemp’s and I bet they’re worth $5 all together. Outside of a few MJs there ain’t much worth much as far as I can tell. I could go all day hashing out 90s NBA and MLB players, most of which turned out to kinda suck. I’m not sure why I ever thought Ron Karkovice was cool, but I guess I did. 😀

I spent years as a kid scooping up every Kemp card I could find. I literally have entire albums of the "Reign Man" 🤣 #SuperSonics4life

I have a shit ton of sports cards passed down to me from my father, every sport and cards going back to 1912. Anyway, not many or worth a heck of a lot. Back around 2000 or so we sold some of the most valuable cards. Best way is to get them graded, so that buyer has idea what he/she is getting. We then sold them on E-bay. Different guides gave us idea of worth. Your cards probably are not worth much but there may be a few rookie cards or hard to find cards in 80's that are worth something. All the cards that were worth $200 or more were sold off. I have boxes and boxes of them. My dad did it for the love of it and maybe he thought he would get rich. lol. He did do well on Jordan rookie year and a lot of 70's rookie hockey cards. We used to put ad in paper as card buyers and me and my brother would buy whole collections. Was fun back in the day. Remember buying 4 gretzky rookie cards and a bunch of messier rookie etc in one batch. Another time got into 1954 baseball cards. Condition of the card is biggest factor of worth.

I spent years as a kid scooping up every Kemp card I could find. I literally have entire albums of the "Reign Man" 🤣 #SuperSonics4life
Kemp was my guy as well, I had a poster as a kid with him surrounded by lightning and some cheesy slogan. One of the OG freak athletes of the NBA.

Last edited:
My most valuable card is som

Kemp was my guy as well, I had a poster as a kid with him surrounded by lightning and some cheesy slogan. One of the OG freak athletes of the NBA.

Like this?
s-l300.jpg

We used to write letters to the teams from the addresses in the back of the Beckett book. Only got David Robinson and John Starks to send signed cards back. 😀

You Sonics fans are gross. #Blazers4life
[/QUOTE]

Nothing like following the NBA religiously until one day your favorite team gets deleted from the league :ROFLMAO: The Thunder just didn't quite do it for me...As for the Blazers, it was sickening seeing Detlef in that jersey at the end of his career but at least he was on a contender.

I sold my worthless collection of 400 baseball cards to some guy at a garage sale for a quarter a piece. I don’t know what he wanted them for?

As others have said, the market was flooded in the 80’s and 90’s so they are not worth much. There are some exceptions (rare rookie cards, complete sets, etc...). I had something around 7000-8000 and sold them for around $300 a couple years ago and used the money for hunting. 🤷‍♂️

I’ve got a bunch of cards I need to unload myself. I saved and collected them hoping to have a son one day to pass them on to but I had two girls instead so I guess I’ll sell them and buy some hunting gear or something for my daughters. Wish the market hadn’t dumped on us.

I used to laugh at my friends when they told me how many thousands of dollars their card collections where worth. I said if they were so valuable why not sell them? They were sure they would only increase in value. :)

I have deck of Desert Storm trading cards. I think they're worth 2x what I paid for them...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back