Sell Me on What My Next Tent Should Be

I spent several summers with probably 50-60 nights each year in a BA Copper Spur (2 person)...get a ground cloth since the material is a little thin. I've survived some serious crappy weather in it.

I've circled back multiple times and have decided a free standing for me is best when not needing to run a stove.

Same question to you @EYJONAS!...what kind of tipi are you running? How is the waterproofing and what are your thoughts on using it in the winter?
Luxe hexpeak so far very pleased with it. I had a condensation issue a during a heavy rain with some hail during a July scout but other than that it's been great. I use the 1.5 inner tent as well.

I don't have a stove setup for mine, I would not get one either for a smaller tipi. Maybe 4 or 6p setup. IMO there's not enough internal space for a stove in a 2p setup.

Winter setup in my mind tests all your gear alongside your tent. Heavy snow and winds are going to really test things I haven't had a issue with either. Coldest I've had my tipi was -5 on a November sheep hunt, it sucked ass but I managed. For the record it would've sucked if you didn't have the right sleeping apparatus in a wall tent as well...... insulated pads and bags are your friend here.

I would like to get a hot tipi setup, sure would be sweet to have a dry line setup alongside a mini stove. Warm dry tents are a welcoming site

For the money I think they're pretty tough to beat. Tipis are cool and these have a ton of room.

I also like the SG Skyscraper 2p as well.

Last edited:
Copper Spur is getting a lot of love. For those that do have that specific tent, what have your experiences been using it for winter camping?
I really like my Copper Spur and have spent some cold nights in it and also been in lots of snow. I’m sure there are better options if you want a true 4-season tent, but it works well for what I do.

Several nights with below zero lows this elk season.
45D90059-C884-4277-B042-AD11CA6A1F30.jpeg

I really like my Copper Spur and have spent some cold nights in it and also been in lots of snow. I’m sure there are better options if you want a true 4-season tent, but it works well for what I do.

Several nights with below zero lows this elk season.
View attachment 172323
Good to know...thanks for sharing!
And that was the "regular" version, not the Expedition model?

Looking for a new backpacking tent to use for hunting. Not overly interested in a tipi with stove set up. More so looking at good 3 season options that would also work fine in a pinch in some serious cold (I have a good 0 Deg bag and pad). While Hilleberg is honestly probably the answer, I don’t have a grand to spend on a tent at the moment.

There are obviously plenty of options out there (which is a good thing as a consumer). I’m just looking for some input and first hand user experience.

Thanks in advance!
@PorterHouse
Good thread. As always, ‘it depends’
Done a bit of ruminating and experimenting on this last few years. Generally find that no ‘one tent to rule them all’...that said, can you add more specifics on where / with whom / what kind of hunting you are looking to do? Above alpine vs subalpine...soaking PNW vs desert climate with creepy crawlies... is footprint a big issue (stamping out a deer bed on a mountainside) ... generally solo vs want to handle multiple folks...do you get into potentially life-threatening conditions (super high winds, remote, etc)? Lots of variables.
How much is weight a major concern?
I will say that I have a Seek Outside Cimarron with stove and find it a very versatile setup...will likely add a Hilleberg Soulo or SG shortly, but there are lots of ‘good enough’ alternatives.

@PorterHouse
Good thread. As always, ‘it depends’
Done a bit of ruminating and experimenting on this last few years. Generally find that no ‘one tent to rule them all’...that said, can you add more specifics on where / with whom / what kind of hunting you are looking to do? Above alpine vs subalpine...soaking PNW vs desert climate with creepy crawlies... is footprint a big issue (stamping out a deer bed on a mountainside) ... generally solo vs want to handle multiple folks...do you get into potentially life-threatening conditions (super high winds, remote, etc)? Lots of variables.
How much is weight a major concern?
I will say that I have a Seek Outside Cimarron with stove and find it a very versatile setup...will likely add a Hilleberg Soulo or SG shortly, but there are lots of ‘good enough’ alternatives.
To your point that there is no one tent to rule them all, I feel like I am quickly realizing that the ideal scenario would be to have two different tents for different weather and different locations, but I really would rather stick to one (at least for now) and deal with the necessary compromises that come with that decision.

Hunting will be anywhere from high country mule deer in Wyoming in September, to elk in Colorado late November. For the foreseeable future, it's going to be mule deer and elk in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. No plans to hit Washington or Arizona , at least not right now.

Footprint is not a huge concern.

Will be used with at least one hunting partner.

Don't plan on getting myself into any life threatening situations (at least I'll do my best not to).

I wouldn't say I'm an ounce counter. The right combination of weight and durability is more important in my mind (i.e would deal with an extra pound or so for a superior tent in terms of durability).

As I continue my search, any feedback on Tarp Tent (from either you @Cheesehead, or anyone else)? They seem to have some good options with a good mix of lightweight, yet seemingly durable options.

@Big Fin, would you be so kind to chime in to let us know which model Hilleberg you’ve used and recommend, please?

Last edited:
I posted this on a thread about sleeping bags, but it's applicable here as well. I quickly glanced through and didn't see any screaming good deals, but check back, they update pretty regularly.

Luxe hexpeak so far very pleased with it. I had a condensation issue a during a heavy rain with some hail during a July scout but other than that it's been great. I use the 1.5 inner tent as well.

I don't have a stove setup for mine, I would not get one either for a smaller tipi. Maybe 4 or 6p setup. IMO there's not enough internal space for a stove in a 2p setup.

Winter setup in my mind tests all your gear alongside your tent. Heavy snow and winds are going to really test things I haven't had a issue with either. Coldest I've had my tipi was -5 on a November sheep hunt, it sucked ass but I managed. For the record it would've sucked if you didn't have the right sleeping apparatus in a wall tent as well...... insulated pads and bags are your friend here.

I would like to get a hot tipi setup, sure would be sweet to have a dry line setup alongside a mini stove. Warm dry tents are a welcoming site

For the money I think they're pretty tough to beat. Tipis are cool and these have a ton of room.

I also like the SG Skyscraper 2p as well.
I run a Hexpeak XL as well. Use the 1.5 winter inner tent for cold weather and the summer 1.5 inner tent for warm weather to keep the bugs out. I do run it as a hot tent when hunting in Oct-Nov with Luxe's WWW titanium stove which is very nice to have for warming up at the end of the day and drying my gear out. It'll get to 80 deg plus inside when the outside is single digits and below. Total setup is a shade under 9 lbs including wood stove. I have been using this setup for 4 years now and it has performed very well. I have had one case where condensation was an issue; that was after 8 inches of snowfall overnight and the outer tent sagged into the inner in a couple of places. Operator setup error as much as anything though. You are right that adding a stove really means you are in a one-man tent that can also accommodate all of your gear. Squeezing in two people is essentially a non-starter given where the stove wants to be.

Thank you all for your feedback and input on this thread. I have decided to go the Tarp Tent route. I'll be happy to post a follow up once I have had a chance to put it through its paces.
Best of luck to everyone in the draws!

Perfect for 1 person.

I love mine and I would never stay in a smaller tent than this one. EVER. I need my space to lay out my goodies.
Anyone who would save a pound to get a "2 man" tent is a crazy IMHO. I dont have those stupid vestibules on mine either. It must be a new design. The one that I have, the rain fly lashes to the ground.

The one that I have, the rain fly lashes to the ground.

One of my biggest complaints about most of the tents on the market is that the rain fly is pitched after the tent is set up. Its works fine until it doesnt. Especially when setting up in a downpour.

I’m a really big fan of my tarp tent. So light and packs really small. The quality is outstanding. I got the 2 person stratospire and put a 1 person liner in it for more floorless space. Only downside is not free standing. They have other designs that are though. Mine still held up to 40-50mph winds out in the wide open.
View attachment 172151
View attachment 172152
I liked the post just because of the pictures. Awesome!

I’m sure you already bought it but I will say to anyone else looking to never buy a Tarp Tent. I bought one last year and I will say the quality seemed good, but it was the worst customer service I ever had with any company in my life. I’ll save the long story but check post #84 here https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/tell-me-about-your-tent.299000/page-5#post-3053242
But to some it up after lying to me on the phone about the size of a tent they wouldn’t take it back and I ended up with a $400 tent that I literally was a foot too long for. Wouldn’t even exchange it for a larger tent even though they admitted they messed up telling me I would fit. Forced me to take my 3 person Hilleberg on a solo September hunt. That was awful having to carry so much extra weight.

I love my Hilleberg Nallo 3. It’s great for 2 people in the winter. I do kind of wish I had the GT model but it’s not necessary. I would highly recommend a Hilleberg. The things are amazing. After last years tent problems I’m still looking for a solo tent. I’m mostly a solo hunter now and don’t need a winter tent in Sept. I hunt both archery and rifle season every year so I probably need two solo tents eventually but looking for something that can handle some snow so I don’t have to buy two tents this year. Maybe a second in a few years. I don’t fit in the Hilleberg Akto at 6’4 so I am looking really hard at Seek Outside tipi tents. I feel like with an inner they could be great for September and even without a stove I feel like pulled tight to the ground they would be great for late season as well. Just get a good sleeping bag. Anyone else with a Seek Outside? I also like the Stone Glacier Skyscraper for late season but seems a little heavy for Sept.

Looking into Nemo and Big Agnes. They seem to have some nice products. Wish I could afford a Hilleberg, looking for used ones too.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back