Seeth's unexpected FULL fall of "good" hunts

No one sat yesterday and my wife is sitting today and if travels go well, ill be home tonight in time to sit. She has seen some small bucks this morning but not the big 9 we are hoping to get that is a local buck to our property (one I spooked sat night) nor big hank yet. Hoping one of them makes a mistake tonight! My wife also has the next 4 days off so she will be hunting hard. Me? I have a trip to the Mississippi River planned for Friday and sat to hunt ducks, I know, I know, I'm an idiot

No one sat yesterday and my wife is sitting today and if travels go well, ill be home tonight in time to sit. She has seen some small bucks this morning but not the big 9 we are hoping to get that is a local buck to our property (one I spooked sat night) nor big hank yet. Hoping one of them makes a mistake tonight! My wife also has the next 4 days off so she will be hunting hard. Me? I have a trip to the Mississippi River planned for Friday and sat to hunt ducks, I know, I know, I'm an idiot
Hopefully this front pushes some ducks in for ya. I`ll be over there walleye fishing and deer hunting.

Hopefully this front pushes some ducks in for ya. I`ll be over there walleye fishing and deer hunting.
It should plus there already is a fair amount of birds there as there always is this time of year. For me thr trip isn't about killing ducks. Sure it's nice to drop em but watching the sun come up over the bluffs while watching 100,000 (no joke on that number) trade up and down the river is worth the trip. No where in America do I know of a spot where you can witness that many ducks flying

What a fantastic morning, it's not often you get to be picky but after we each dropped 3 hen Buffy in the first 30 mins we realized it was time to be a bit more selective lol we really screwed up on the cans. Decoyed hard, 20 yards away. I shoot and miss a gravy shot. Focus on second and drop one. Buddy? 3 shots, 3 misses lol he got too excited like me

What, no carcasses in the tub or sink??
23 degrees tonight. Gutted on site, stuck on truck. They good! Well not the can. He's in a bag, safely protected and tucked away. It's been a long time coming getting my first can. Shot pretty much every other duck species and the whole point of me trying to get to pool 9 every year is to have a chance getting one!

Just a note about Canvasbacks. About 15 years ago I was in Saskatchewan hunting a series of large Ducks Unlimited impoundments. The divers were really stacked in them. The only species restriction was for Pintails. One day I chose to only shoot Cans and took a limit of 8. We dined like kings on them and I donated a couple for the Fish and Game Department study skin collection.

Looks like you had a good hunt! I drove down to the landing around 10 this morning but it sounds like you were probably already done!
We actually launched at cold springs. Didn't want to risk not getting in there with it being closed.

What a difference a morning makes. Our spot had 3 other groups including some idiots that decided to show up late and set up literally on the other side of the point and they were a whopping 75 yards from us.....downwind. so yeah, they blasted everything coming in, even birds 100 plus yards away. We got one mallard. O well, had fun yesterday and even this bad morning won't wreck that. Typical Sat pressure, glad we hunted yesterday and had it to ourselevs.

Three mornings without getting up early and sitting over plastic ducks was burning my soul, so naturally I had to cleanse it by going out in the snow.

Mega slow. Saw 6 and we dropped 4. Damn I love how absolutely stunning a late season drake mallard looks.

20221116_064308.jpg

Geez, this is exactly why you never make the idiotic mistake of going on a hunting trip without your wife. You leave and then not only did she shoot a buck this morning but so did my buddies daughter! And it's only been open 20 minutes!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back