PEAX Equipment

Seeth's unexpected FULL fall of "good" hunts

Most of the ducks actually went to and landed in the neighbors cornfield that was combined yesterday. Guess who has a field shoot in their near future? I have a funeral tomorrow that scratches all plans but I now have a date for Sunday morning with a beauty named Greenie! Just don't tell my wife :p

I don't know how to describe my evening sit tonight other than wow. Too jacked to tell what happened and not be upset about how it went down. Maybe @Stocker will fill it in. He got the play by play with all my emotions lol
I’ll let you tell the whole story. I was just glad I got some excitement through you. The one doe I saw didn’t provide me much. 🤣

Guess where I am at a jobsite. I bet it's at least the 10th state mentioned.....I do work nationwide btw except AK and CA

20221108_160601.jpg

No no and no. I had no clue it was so beautiful here! So steep too. Holy smokes, a dude would have a tough time getting an elk up one of these hollows

Ok back to a bit of catch up on hunting since Sat when I returned from a funeral. I've been non stop busy since between hunting and work and since I'm selfishly using this thread as a hunting log of my experiences, I don't want any gaps!

Sat after the burial service of my grandma (no need for "sorry for your loss" because she was 89 and lived a fabulous life, a funeral of joy and not sorrow) I rushed home through pouring rain and made it home barely in time to head for a quick sit. Walking out there, I got 80 yards from the stand and the only big buck I have on camera worth shooting was bedded 10 feet from the stand for some reason and trotted off. Crap. Sat in a different spot in the direction he would come back and never did.

Sunday morning we hit the neighbors cornfield where we saw all those ducks land Friday. We poor, idk where the ducks were but they didn't show up. Had 3 come in and got 2.

20221106_075809.jpg

Now the fun part. On the way back to my house, we saw a big buck chasing a doe and ran into my small 5 acre woods. Didn't see him immediately come out. This woods really only has two ways out. I decided to go sit on one of them that night.

Got in super early and it was quite awhile before it got exciting. I thought I had heard antlers clashing and branches breaking. It was pretty windy, steady 15 to 20, so I kind of wrote it off. I shouldn't have and remained focused because about 10 mintues later a buck comes walking right to me and down the trail. It's a good thing he wasn't a buck I was looking for because I may not have been able to make it happen as he came through really quick. Btw, I totally would have blamed @Stocker Had it been a big one and I didn't get a shot. He was texting me and pulling my attention from the woods :)

Screenshot_20221106-162141_Gallery.jpg

Blood flowing now, I was a little more focused. I now knew it was bucks fighting and this was likely the loser and smaller one. Then, a doe came bolting out of the woods and ran out into the beans. I immediately knew she was running because of a buck and starting scanning. Sure enough, there are tines in the brush I can make out. Excitement was immediately replaced with disappointment because I knew where he was going, to that doe. And she passed by me 100 yards away. Here he comes, gets out onto the field and my jaw drops. What a stud. I immediately recognize this buck even though I haven't got a picture of him since January 31st. Last fall he was at least a 16 pointer, maybe 17. I start looking over his rack this year. Each g2 has at least 3 extra garbage points, longest being over 4 inches long. Extras at the ends as well. 18 to 20 total, maybe more. G2 and g3s exceeding a foot. I literally just about start to cry watching him walk right on by, nothing I can do. Worst part is, when he came out of my woods, he ran within 20 yards of another stand I have and then where they went across the field, ran back into woods by another stand, 10 yards away.

They ran where my finger is pointing

20221106_165311.jpg

About ten mintues later from where they ran in, a pretty good buck comes running out into the beans. It was very dark at this point so I don't know how big exactly but he wasn't big hank. I head back into the house all jacked up and my neighbor and wife don't believe what I saw and think I'm full of it....

Next morning I head back in and sit on where I saw them run to. Right at lightz barely can make things out but I see a doe about 100 yards away walking through the grass. Here comes a buck, a huge buck following. Too dark to verify it was him but I'm almost positive. Only excitement for that quick morning hunt before work.

My wife got home from here trip Monday evening and Monday nights are date night. We decided to detour our travel to the local bar and take the spotlight and do some deer shinning. Always fun to spot 100s of deer and see a few good bucks deer shining. Not sure if this activity is a Wisconsin only thing or not? Maybe of us were shinning that night, it's rut after all.

We eat supper and have a few cocktails and head home. Shinning deer on the way again. We get to our land and I spot a deer ahead, near the road so I turn the light off him and we drive closer. Get close and shin the light.

"OMG THERE HE IS" I scream out.

My wife goes, you weren't kidding, he is massive!

He was 60 to 70 yards away and just got that deer in the headlights look and doesn't really run off. I tell my wife we need to grab my neighbor. Call him, he runs out of bed and into the car. We are back minutes later and we can't find him! So my neighbor still thinks I'm full of it lol

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back