Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Seekins news

Awesome rifles at a very good price. That should be a great caliber for them.

Really intrigued by the 7PRC…it’s unfortunate that it seems like factory ammo will be a long time before you can find on the shelves. Scheels has a Ruger American in the caliber for $650 but for someone who doesn’t reload it may be awhile before you can shoot it.

Why do you have to do this to me? I've been holding out for Tikka to start on them but it's sounding like it could be awhile before (if?) that happens. The PH2 sure is tempting.

Why do you have to do this to me? I've been holding out for Tikka to start on them but it's sounding like it could be awhile before (if?) that happens. The PH2 sure is tempting.
Build your own tikka with a prefit?

The draw to me to seekins vs tikka would be the stock and the ease of a one time purchase. I don’t know of a lightweight stock for the tikka I like as much as the seekins stock. That said, I prefer the tikka action and trigger for a hunting rifle and would have more confidence in a barrel blank and gunsmith of my choice than the spiral fluted seekins barrels.

The draw to me to seekins vs tikka would be the stock and the ease of a one time purchase. I don’t know of a lightweight stock for the tikka I like as much as the seekins stock. That said, I prefer the tikka action and trigger for a hunting rifle and would have more confidence in a barrel blank and gunsmith of my choice than the spiral fluted seekins barrels.
I finally found a Bergara Squared Crest at the Black Sheep in CDA, ID. It’s a sweet rifle. The stock is amazing and fit and finish was great. The action is solid.

I mention this because the salesmen convinced me to hold a Havak. I’ve held them before. I’ve never shot one. I’m still not a huge fan of the finish and design of the stock. Its plasticky to me, and the palm swell is strange for big hands. I fell in love with the action though, buttery smooth.

I am now torn. Why the lack of confidence in the Seekins barrel?

I finally found a Bergara Squared Crest at the Black Sheep in CDA, ID. It’s a sweet rifle. The stock is amazing and fit and finish was great. The action is solid.

I mention this because the salesmen convinced me to hold a Havak. I’ve held them before. I’ve never shot one. I’m still not a huge fan of the finish and design of the stock. Its plasticky to me, and the palm swell is strange for big hands. I fell in love with the action though, buttery smooth.

I am now torn. Why the lack of confidence in the Seekins barrel?

It’s not so much a lack of confidence in seekins as it is confidence in a top shelf blank and gunsmith over a step down button barrel and spiral fluting. I’ve had bad luck with aggressively spiral fluted sporter barrels. One was a bartlein #3 and I’ve had 2 havak 300wm barrels I wasn’t happy with. It seems seekins had a bunch of duds early on (when I bought my havak) but I haven’t seen the same reports lately and they are selling a lot more rifles now. Kind of the opposite of Bergara who had a lot of good press early on and a lot of poor quality reports now.

What’s strange about the seekins grip for you? Is it just different feeling or have functional issues? I have medium hands and it’s not too much for me.

It’s not so much a lack of confidence in seekins as it is confidence in a top shelf blank and gunsmith over a step down button barrel and spiral fluting. I’ve had bad luck with aggressively spiral fluted sporter barrels. One was a bartlein #3 and I’ve had 2 havak 300wm barrels I wasn’t happy with. It seems seekins had a bunch of duds early on (when I bought my havak) but I haven’t seen the same reports lately and they are selling a lot more rifles now. Kind of the opposite of Bergara who had a lot of good press early on and a lot of poor quality reports now.

What’s strange about the seekins grip for you? Is it just different feeling or have functional issues? I have medium hands and it’s not too much for me.

Great perspective! I have been researching like crazy, and am pretty committed to Seekins now. You’re totally right that Bergara has a shifting reputation. I’ve been trying, shamefully, to convince myself on the Crest. I keep hearing from people about the quality control standards, and poor customer service.

Everything I am finding on Seekins is the opposite. The first PH had barrel issues and bolt issues, but was pretty good. The PH2 solved the barrel issues, but had initial bolt issues. They rectified the bolt issues and if you have the original bolt you can send your rifle back for a new bolt and a full check up.

The bolt on the PH2 I cycled was as smooth as any bolt I’ve cycled. It was SO much better than the other rifles, Crest included.

I think it may have been it being so different, but I also am a big fella. I’m wondering about length also. I wish I would have asked the shop to let me go prone with it, and sit with a pod. I don’t know why I don’t usually do that…

I’m going to email and see about going down to the factory from Spokane. I am a Science teacher, and went to an engineering school for a bit. I love seeing engineering and machinists at work. I can’t afford their full-custom tour, but it would be awesome to see how they’re built.

Last edited:

Appreciate the grip comment as I'm curious, and always enjoy the resonance of your reviews...

Great perspective! I have been researching like crazy, and am pretty committed to Seekins now. You’re totally right that Bergara has a shifting reputation. I’ve been trying, shamefully, to convince myself on the Crest. I keep hearing from people about the quality control standards, and poor customer service.

Everything I am finding on Seekins is the opposite. The first PH had barrel issues and bolt issues, but was pretty good. The PH2 solved the barrel issues, but had initial bolt issues. They rectified the bolt issues and if you have the original bolt you can send your rifle back to a new bolt and a full check up.

The bolt on the PH2 I cycled was as smooth as any bolt I’ve cycled. It was SO much better than the other rifles, Crest included.

I think it may have been it being so different, but I also am a big fella. I’m wondering about length also. I wish I would have asked the shop to let me go prone with it, and sit with a pod. I don’t know why I don’t usually do that…

I’m going to email and see about going down to the factory from Spokane. I am a Science teacher, and went to engineering school for a bit. I love seeing engineering and machinists at work. I can’t afford their full-custom tour, but it would be awesome to see how they’re built.

I sent my havak in for the bolt upgrade and they sent it back with a whole new action. It was a significant upgrade.

The one aspect of the stock that I can see legit gripes on is the length of pull because it’s pretty short. You can add spacers but i found the screws in the pad difficult to remove.

I mentioned before the seekins stock being better than common options for tikkas and that is changing now. With the release of the rokstok I’d lean back towards tikkas. It’s definitely not traditional looking but I think it’ll be sweet to shoot. Excited for mine to arrive.

I’ve had my Seekins Havak 300 win mag for just over a year. Liking it so far. The grip took a little bit to get used to but now I love it. It’s way more accurate than I’ll ever be.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back