Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Seeking new ideas for a late season hunt

Epfd217

Some guys from work invited me on their trip a few years ago to hunt cow elk in NM during January. The hunt is done on a 10K acre ranch using landowner tags. We make the drive from MN and with the cost of travel, food, tag, lodging and the trespass fee, the trip costs $1500-2000 a person. For me personally thats too much money. Some of the guys, its their only elk trip of the year. Not to mention, the trip is not 100% opportunity. It is a hunt and I know it shouldn't be, but for that kind of money, I can't risk it. My point is, it should be closer to a sure thing than it has been. 2 years ago we went home empty handed among 5 guys despite there being 1000 elk within a half mile.

I let them know the cost is too high and I thought an equal hunt could be had closer. They challenged me to come up with some better ideas. A couple of our guy are in their 60's so some easier terrain and a house or motel are needed.

My personal preference is to hunt a quality public land area and not worry about fences and trespass fees. The area I'm getting ready to suggest is Area 7 in WY. Seems like its got the late season dates that works for everyone, lots of public land and lots of elk. Not to mention there are a few towns with accommodations.

ANy other areas you would suggest? Landowner and trespass hunts are not out of the question. I just prefer not being so limited to one piece of land. Its amazing how small 10K acres is when there are no elk on it.

Unit 7 is a good unit for cows. There is quite a bit of public but a lot of that public land is hard to access. Once the heavy snows come a lot of the elk head straight to private. It's a fun but frustrating hunt. Can walk into a lot of public land but may not see any elk at all. There are a few ranches that allow hunting for cows but a permit from the ranch must be obtained first and they are limited. Have fun and good luck.

I appreciate the comment. I've done WY a few times, but mostly on the west side. I may need to pay to learn this year and go check the area out.

Not sure what you mean about a permit from a ranch, unless you're talking about getting a permit from a landowner enrolled in one of the HMAs. There are no landowner tags in Wyoming.
Some ranches do allow hunting in area 7 but you would have to do the research on the Albany Co GIS page and perhaps some calls to Platte Co assessors office, they have no online GIS, for landowner names to call.

Some decent access via HMA and walk in but they are no cake walk. Weather can be a big limiting factor in success. Wind and snow can mean impassable drifts.Some access to NF and G&F lands but again weather can be a factor.

Some good success on regular season cow hunts in Wyoming. Reduced price cow/calf tags are not expensive and some can be used during the regular season, Oct., not just the late season. You might get your cow hunt done in Oct. when weather is generally milder than Dec or Jan and be back for your own deer season.

Not sure what you mean about a permit from a ranch, unless you're talking about getting a permit from a landowner enrolled in one of the HMAs. There are no landowner tags in Wyoming.
Some ranches do allow hunting in area 7 but you would have to do the research on the Albany Co GIS page and perhaps some calls to Platte Co assessors office, they have no online GIS, for landowner names to call.

Some decent access via HMA and walk in but they are no cake walk. Weather can be a big limiting factor in success. Wind and snow can mean impassable drifts.Some access to NF and G&F lands but again weather can be a factor.

Some good success on regular season cow hunts in Wyoming. Reduced price cow/calf tags are not expensive and some can be used during the regular season, Oct., not just the late season. You might get your cow hunt done in Oct. when weather is generally milder than Dec or Jan and be back for your own deer season.

Wytex you are correct. This is exactly what I mean and yes there are no landowner tags In WY. I've hunted the unit quite a bit and weather is a BIG factor. We've had extreme luck in some cases and have killed elk withing 500 yards of the pickup. Of course you have to go through the pain of walking all day and are on your way out just to see them licking the salt off of the bumper. lol

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back