Seeking Information on LEUPOLD VX-3I 3.5-10X40MM / Determining Authenticity?

I've recently read about that "Wish"; know nothing other though. May have seen the info on this forum, unsure. It is somewhat disheartening to see all the manufacturing leave the U.S. Most everything is made in Asia; China, Taiwan, Philippines, etc. Even the U.S. made scopes (whatever they are) are all subcontracting to China and elsewhere for the glass "Even the Germans" > 'Who would have believed it. GPO has a great line of scopes and almost purchased one over the Leupold but decided against. GPO has top quality glass and components but they are all contracted out to different areas (mostly overseas to Asia) BUT all the GPO scopes allegedly arrive back at Germany to undergo review and 'quality' control.

I spoke with Doug at CameraLand in NY. (a nice guy) and asked where the GPO scopes were made and there is "NO made IN" > 'Anywhere'. This facet turned me away from GPO (German Precision Optics). From some who have tried the scopes, 'a very limited few', they say the glass is slightly better than the VX3i but the Meopta is better than both. The fact is the dimensions play a critical role in determining placement on a certain rifle. Many overlook this aspect or pay no attention to such details. When they receive the scope, 'all the complaints begin to abound'. This facet has no bearing on GPO whereas their dimensions are mostly inline with fitting any rifle. Sorry for the long synopsis, some free time. Thanks very much for your reply.

I have no clue how that guy can sell a Leupold for less than I can purchase it at dealer cost. Thanks for calling Leupold and letting them know what they are doing.

I have bought from Molly's Place and Bigfishbuddy on Ebay. Both are Leupold dealers and you are getting the real deal. You can confirm with Leupold that they are not counterfeit scopes. I bought mine during Black Friday time frame and it was $236.00 with free shipping from Molly's. If you are worried about buying a counterfeit from ebay, you can choose the item location if you scroll down as it's on the left side of the screen. Make sure it's US only, and you are a lot less likely to get scammed, but it's still not 100%.

First picture is a counterfeit. First and most obvious clue: "matte" is spelled wrong.

Second, if you look up model number 66270, it SHOULD be a VX-3 3.5-10x50mm. So a 50 millimeter objective lens, not a 40mm like is printed on the box.

This - 100% agree. Don’t recall gloss black packaging on the old VX3’s either - it was a matte black box from memory.

Someone told me once that a lot of the counterfeits have the power adjustment ring reversed.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back